Bolivia Nevada Overview
Bolivia, later renamed Nickel, was a town in Churchill County, Nevada. I have also found references the own was named Nicke and Cottonwood.
Bolivia Nevada History
In the early 1860s, copper ore was discovered and I have found references that nickel and cobalt were discovered in 1880 by William Bell and John Mason. There are lots of newspaper references that G. W. Gilbert was the one who discovered the lodes.
The mines in Bolivia were open from 1880 until 1890 when litigation caused them to close and they opened again for a short time from 1904 to 1908, but there has not been activity since.
Copper, nickel, and cobalt.
- March 21, 1890 – March 15, 1892
- August 15, 1893 – July 18. 1895
- October 4, 1905 – March 20, 1906
View the list and history of Nevada Post Offices.
39° 59′ 32.69″ N, 117° 54′ 47.46″ W
Speaking of mobile apps, two of my favorite mobile apps for exploring the southwest are two different mapping apps one that builds your schedule and the other helps me look to see if my rural destination is taking me to private or public lands. Highly recommend both!
- Roadtrippers Plus is $29.99 per year paid version of the app that allows you to build longer itineraries, share your plans with friends, and use the app without ads. Click here to save $5 on your subscription to Roadtrippers.
- onX – click here to learn more about onX GPS Map App for Backcountry, Offroad, and Hunting.