Skip to Content

Cherry Creek Nevada

Cherry Creek Nevada

Cherry Creek Overview

The town of Cherry Creek was part of a network of mining districts.

The town peaked in 1882, with over 1,800 residents.

Egan Canyon, to the south, was a thoroughfare for, Howard Egan and the Mormon Battalion in 1855.

In 1860, the Pony Express placed a change station at the west opening.

From 1861 to 1869, Butterfield’s Overland Mail and Stage established a station here that grew into a small temporary town.

Soldiers from Fort Ruby discovered gold in the canyon in 1863, leading to the creation of the town of Egan and a mining district.

Like Cherry Creek, to the north, Egan boomed and busted into the 1920s before mining ceased

Category

Military, Mining, Pony Express, Trail, Road

Marker Type

Blue

Nevada Historical Marker Number

Cherry Creek is Nevada Historical Marker #52.

Click here to view the full list of Nevada State Historical Markers.

County

White Pine County, Nevada

GPS Coordinates

39.900905 -114.886081

Nevada Historical Marker Transcription

The town of Cherry Creek before you was part of a network of mining districts that operated in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, including the Gold Canyon district in Egan Canyon, five miles to the south.

Peter Corning and John Carpenter helped start the town of Cherry Creek when they staked the Tea Cup gold claim in 1872, resulting in a boom and the development of a town.  At the town’s peak in 1882, it boasted a population of over 1,800.  While production fluctuated, Cherry Creek continued to produce gold and silver ore into the 1940s.

Egan Canyon to the south was part of the 1855 route established by Howard Egan and the Mormon Battalion, and surveyed for use in 1859 by the U.S. Army.  By 1860, the Pony Express placed a change station at the west opening of the canyon.  Between 1861 and 1869, Butterfield’s Overland Mail and Stage established a station here that grew into a small temporary town.

In 1863, soldiers from Fort Ruby discovered gold in the canyon, leading to the creation of the town of Egan and a mining district.  By 1865 there were three stamp mills in Egan processing ore from the district.  Like Cherry Creek, to the north, Egan boomed and busted into the 1920s before mining ceased.

STATE HISTORICAL MARKER No. 52

STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE

WHITE PINE PUBLIC MUSEUM INC.

References Used

Cherry Creek Nevada