Coney Island Overview
From 1909-1912, Coney Island was among the most elaborate amusement parks of its day.
An aircraft assembly plant occupied the site in the early “twenties” and an auto court was established here later.
All of the buildings were either burned or torn down when Interstate 80 was constructed
Nevada Historical Marker Number
Coney Island is Nevada Historical Marker #240.
Click here to view the full list of Nevada State Historical Markers.
Nevada Historical Marker Transcription
Opened to the public on June 20 1909, Coney Island was among the most elaborate amusement parks of its day. Otto G. Benschuetz, founder and owner, landscaped the grounds, put in a children’s playground, a bandstand for outdoor concerts and a dance pavilion which also served as a skating rink and theatre. Coney Island also had an artificial lake complete with boats, covered landings and bath houses. The park’s heyday passed with Benschuetz’s death in 1912. An aircraft assembly plant occupied the site in the early “twenties” and an auto court was established here later. The pavilion was destroyed by fire in 1927 and a second blaze in 1930 took other structures. All the remaining buildings were torn down when Interstate 80 was constructed in the 1960’s.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER No. 240
DIVISION OF HISTORIC PRESERVATION AND ARCHEOLOGY
WASHOE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
CITY OF SPARKS