Skip to Content

Crystal Springs Nevada

Crystal Springs Nevada

Crystal Springs Nevada Overview

Crystal Springs is a ghost town located in the Pahranagat Valley region near Rachel in Lincoln County, Nevada.

Learn more about Nevada Ghost Towns.

Crystal Springs, Nevada Historical Marker No. 205, Near Hiko, Nevada
The discovery of silver in Pahranagat Valley in 1865 resulted in the creation of Lincoln County with Crystal Springs designated as the provisional county seat in 1866. With the intention of organizing the new county, Governor Henry G. Blasdel left Carson City in April, 1866, accompanied by over twenty people and after a perilous journey through Death Valley, California, reached the new district of Pahranagat. This expedition was also expected to find a more practicable route between the valley and the towns of western Nevada. When the Governor arrived at Crystal Springs, he found that the region lacked the number of voters necessary to meet the requirements for county organization, which resulted in the eventual formation of the county at Hiko one year later. This locale, used as a watering place and campsite, was the principal stopover on the Mormon Trail alternate route.

Crystal Springs Nevada History

Used as a watering place and campsite on an alternate route of the Mormon Trail in the mid-nineteenth century, Crystal Springs was designated as the provisional County Seat for Lincoln County in 1866.

As stated above on the Nevada Historical Marker sign, with the intent of organizing a new county, Governor Henry G. Blasdel left Carson City in April 1866, accompanied by over 20 people on a perilous journey through Death Valley, California. During the trip, they ran out of supplies and food and one man died while others survived on lizards and other desert animals.

The Governor found that the region lacked the number of voters necessary to meet the requirements to become a county.

Timeline

  • 1866 – Crystal Springs was designated as the provisional County Seat for Lincoln County.
  • 1976 – Established as Nevada Historical Marker #205 by the Nevada Historical Society. 

Elevation

3,819′

GPS Coordinates

37.532594, -115.233563

Nevada Historical Marker Transcription

Crystal Spring was used as a watering place and campsite on an alternate route of the Mormon Trail in the mid-nineteenth century.  The town site was designated as the provisional County Seat for Lincoln County in 1866.  With the intention of organizing the new county, Governor Henry G. Blasdel left Carson City in April 1866, accompanied by over 20 people.  After a perilous journey through Death Valley, California, they ran out of supplies and food.  One man died; the others survived on lizards and other desert animals.  The Governor and another man raced to Logan City to obtain supplies and returned lathe party so they reached Crystal Spring.  The Governor found that the region lacked the number of voters necessary to meet the requirements to become a county.  A year later the county government was organized at Hiko.

STATE HISTORICAL MARKER NO.  205

STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE

Nearby Nevada Historical Markers

There are two other Nevada Historical Markers nearby within 13 miles of Crystal Springs.

  • Hiko
  • Pahranagat Valley 

References Used

Crystal Springs Nevada