Culverwell’s Ranch Nevada Overview
- 1860s – The meadow area around the junction of Meadow Valley Wash and Clover Creek was originally settled by Ike and Dow Barton, who were two escaped slaves from Arkansas.
- Early 1870s – The area was known as Dutch Flat.
- 1874 – Ranchers Charles and William Culverwell purchased the Jackman Ranch and renamed it Culverwell Ranch. It was later referred to as “Culverwell.”
- 1901 – The city was known as Culverwell’s Ranch until a hot spring, located on Culverwell’s property, was found.
- 1901-1903 – The city was referred to as Calientes, which is Spanish for hot.
- August 3, 1901 – The city’s first post office opened.
- 1903 – The name officially changed to Caliente.
- August 1903 – A tent city was established.
- 1906 – A violent flash flood surged through the town destroying the city and washing out the railroad tracks, but the railroad and the city rebuilt.
- 1907 – Lincoln County Bank, as well as a new extension of the railroad to Pioche, opened in Caliente.
- 1910 – A second, larger flash flood once again leveled the city and washed out the tracks.
The Population of Culverwell’s Ranch Nevada
Before the flood, Caliente’s population was estimated at 1,700, but in the aftermath of the flood, the town rapidly declined.
The population of Caliente, Nevada is 990 as of the 2020 United States Census dropping from 1,130 from the 2010 United State Census.
How to Get to Culverwell’s Ranch Nevada
Nevada State Historical Marker No. 55 is located on the south side of US Highway 93 near the east end of Caliente.
Nevada Historical Marker Transcription
Caliente was first settled as a ranch, furnishing hay for the mining camps of Pioche and Delmar. In 1901, the famous Harriman-Clark right-of-way battle was ended when rancher Charles Culverwell, with the aid of a broad-gauge shotgun, allowed one railroad grade to be built through his lush meadows. Harriman and Clark had been baffling eleven years, building side-by-side grades ignoring court orders and federal marshals.
The population boom began with an influx of railroad workers, most of them immigrants from Austria, Japan and Turkey. Not understanding the laws and customs of the land, racial conflicts were frequent. A tent city was settled in August, 1903.
With the completion of the Los Angeles, San Pedro and Salt Lake Railroad in 1905, Caliente became a division point. In 1906-07, the Caliente and Pioche Railroad (now the Union Pacific) was built between Pioche and the main line at Caliente. The large Neo-Mission-type depot was built in 1923, serving as a civic center, as well as a hotel.
State Parks in Lincoln County, Nevada
Exploring Lincoln County, Nevada
Wildlife in Lincoln County Nevada
- Nevada’s State Historic Preservation Office – Historical Markers
- University of Las Vegas – Boomtown – Counties – Lincoln