Double Springs Nevada
Double Springs Nevada Overview
Double Springs was a station on the wagon road through the south end of the Pine Nut Mountains in Doulas County, Nevada. The road provided access between Carson and Walker valleys, both ranching and dairy regions.
Double Springs was also known as Double Spring, Round Tent Ranch, Sprague, and Spragues.
The site of the Eagle Mining District post office is about four miles north along the highway.
- 1861 – Established as a stage station on the Carson City-Aurora road
- 1880 – Known as Spragues
Nevada State Historical Category
Nevada State Historical Marker Type
Nevada Historical Marker Number
Double Springs Nevada is Nevada Historical Marker #126.
Click here to view the full list of Nevada State Historical Markers.
Nevada Historical Marker Transcription
Double Springs, also known as Round Tent Ranch or Spragues, was a station on the road through the south end of the Pine Nut Mountains located at a pair of nearby springs. The road provided access between Carson and Walker valleys, both ranching and dairy regions in western Nevada, Double Springs also saw many travelers on their way to Esmeralda County. At one time, a toll road ran from this area west to the Kingsbury Road that still connects to Lake Tahoe.
About four miles north along the highway is the former location of Mammoth Ledge, also known as Carter’s Station. That site served as the post office for the Eagle Mining District, and the polling place in 1861 of the Mammoth Precinct of Douglas County. Stations like these provided water, supplies, and rest for travelers prior to the popularization of the automobile.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER NO. 126
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE
CARSON VALLEY HISTORICAL SOCIETY