Easy Camping Meals
They say nothing beats a meal cooked on a campfire, and I could not agree more. Whether you are more into a relaxing day spent down by the lake, or a day full of hiking some of the Southwest’s beautiful trails, there is one thing we can all agree on, food tastes better camping. I am going to show you some super simple, yet delicious meals you can make using only simple camping equipment.
Egg Burritos: Serves 10-12
Egg burritos are the perfect high protein meal to keep you full for a full day of adventure. This recipe is super simple and easy to make on an open fire or propane stove if you are somewhere with fire restrictions.
- 12 Eggs
- 1lb breakfast sausage
- 1 pack bacon
- 1/2 lb shredded hash brown
- Heat up an oiled dutch oven over an open fire until hot
- Add meats and hashbrowns to oven
- Stir often until meat and hashbrowns begin to brown
- Pre scrambled eggs
- When meat and hashbrowns appear to be done add eggs and stir constantly until eggs are done
- Move flame away from the oven so it doesn’t overcook
- Heat tortillas over the open flame or in another cast iron pan
You can also warm up some green chilies to add some extra heat to your burrito
CAUTION DO NOT touch the cast iron until it has had a lot of time to cool as it will be scalding hot.
Camp Fire Trout
Lucky enough to catch a trout out on your camping trip? Well, turn that catch into a quick and delicious dinner with nothing but foil and fire.
- Fresh Caught Trout
- Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Clean fresh-caught fish thoroughly
- Add butter and seasoning to the inside of the trout
- Wrap trout in foil
- Place 2 layers of foil directly over the fire for roughly 5-6 minutes
- Remove from flame and let fish cool while still wrapped in foil
- Remove foil and Enjoy!
Campfire Cheese Steak: Serves 10-12
This is my personal favorite meal when it comes to food over a fire. While Cheese Steak may sound like a very complicated meal for camping, but with the right pre-camp prep, this can be one of the most delicious meals you can have camping.
Ingredients: Serves 12
- 3 lb Steak (We used flank steak but this is up to your preference)
- 3 Red Bell peppers
- 3 Green Bell peppers
- Cheese (We used provolone)
- Sub Rolls (Or your favorite bread)
- Onion Powder
- Garlic Powder
- Red Pepper
- Pappy Original
- Hot Sauce
- Slice Steak and marinate in oil and seasoning blend the night before camping
- OPTIONAL prep onion and bell peppers and place in baggies for easy cooking
- Coat cast-iron in oil
- Add bell pepper and onion mix
- season with salt, pepper, and Pappys
- Cook until softened (About 10 minutes depending on size fire)
- Add steak to cast iron and mix into pepper mix
- Cook for about 15 minutes or until meat is cooked to your preference
- Optional While meat is cooking heat mushrooms in a separate pan
- Once the meat is complete add desired ingredients into bread (Steak, Cheese, Mushrooms, etc..)
- Wrap in tin foil and place on fire to melt cheese and toast bun (About 2 minutes)
- Remove from tin foil and enjoy!