We have compiled outdoor events in the Southwest for you as a resource from various online sources –
they are not official Southwest Explorers’ events.
- This event has passed.
Chutes and Ladders
October 2 @ 7:00 am - 10:00 am UTC-7
Please note, our articles may contain referral or affiliate links.
This is going to be Pastor Jim’s 900th hike. If you can’t join the hike, then come to the celebration at South Tower Park after the hike.
REQUIREMENTS FOR SIGN UP – NO EXCEPTIONS
• You must have done one of my Tier 2 or higher hikes or be able to describe your scrambling experience (places and people). OR have a “Scrambling Skills” pin from Organizer Jane Reyling.
• YOU MUST SIGN A WRITTEN WAIVER TO ATTEND THIS HIKE. The link to the written waiver is here:
You will not be moved to the “going” list without providing a signed waiver.
If you have already provided a waiver to me, you do not need to provide another one.
The route goes up to the right of Slab Rift through a long chute and then heads into the heart of Calico I. From there we’ll go through the “midnight” slot and then up through “Jacob’s Ladder” to the top of the ridge. From there we’ll head back down through a series of chutes and ladders.
I’ve seen some wildlife in this area. We saw a ringed-tailed cat as well as the common antelope chipmunks, roadrunner, and lizards. You can look at my wildlife gallery for some of my favorite pictures of animals I’ve seen.
Not for beginners or those afraid of heights. There are some places that require intermediate scrambling skills and there is some exposure. You must be able to pull your body weight up and lower yourself down using your arms.
• Helmets are always welcome. Be sure to use one that doesn’t block your sight.
• Always carry “in case of emergency” numbers with you.
• No guests will be allowed without my prior approval.
YOU MUST BE ON THE “GOING” LIST IN ORDER TO GO ON THIS HIKE. CRASHING WILL NOT BE ALLOWED.
Meet location will be sent on by message or text on the night before the hike.
• Distance: ~ 2 miles loop.
• Elevation gain: ~ 850 ft.
• High point: 4266
• Low point: 3650
• Difficulty: moderate
• Pace: ~ 1 Miles Per Hour
• Children: no.
• Dogs: no.
• Time: 3.5 hours max.
• Bring: At least two liters of water. Snacks