Gold Point Nevada
Gold Point Nevada Overview
In 1908, miners discovered a form of silver chloride known as horn silver.
Later, a town of over 225 wood-frame buildings, tents, and shacks appeared.
The camp assumed the name Gold Point after 1930 when more gold was being mined than silver.
Nevada Historical Marker Number
Gold Point Nevada is Nevada Historical Marker #156.
Click here to view the complete list of Nevada State Historical Markers.
Nevada Historical Marker Transcription
Gold Point was initially called Lime Point for the nearby lime deposits found in 1868. Processing difficulties in the 1880s discouraged silver mining locally.
Goldfield ore discoveries in 1902 stimulated area mining interest. In 1908 miners discovered high grade chlorargyrite, a form of silver chloride known as hornsilver. The town’s name was changed to Hornsilver, and a typical mining camp developed. A newspaper, post office, stores, and saloons began operations, and a town of over 225 wood-frame buildings, tents, and shacks appeared.
The camp assumed the name Gold Point after 1930 when more gold was being mined than silver. Miners were drawn away to essential World War II industries in October 1942, and major mining ceased at Gold Point.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER No. 156
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE