Helene Nevada Overview
The town included a meat market, corrals, Chinese laundries, a boarding house, an assay office, saloons, two drug stores, two hotels, two restaurants, and a Post Office.
Helene Nevada History
Named Helene, after Hartwig Cohen’s wife.
Miners from the nearby Golden City moved to the Helene area.
With local water sources drying up, water was scarce in the area with the Tunnel Springs and Cottonwood Springs being used as water sources but more was needed and several attempts were made to bring water to Helene through pipelines and new wells but the efforts were unsuccessful.
- 1889 – John Ferguson and Joseph Sharp discovered gold south of Caliente
- 1891 – Hartwig Cohen and John Ferguson laid out a townsite, situated just below the Magnolia mine
- 1892 – Ferguson Mining District was formed
- June 1892 – Construction starts on buildings
- August 1892 – The town boundaries were established and J. A. Denton appointed Justice of the Peace
- September 5, 1892 – The Lode Publishing Company moved from Pioche to Helene and began publication of the Ferguson Lode
- November 1892 – The Ferguson District was in trouble with outstanding bills not being paid and work crews dismissed
- December 1892 – Most of the businesses had closed and services were not available
June 1892 to Dec 1894
The Population of Helene Nevada
Approximately 250 residents by mid-November 1892.
37.4811° N, 114.7767° W
- Ferris, Dawna Eileen. The Best of Times, The Worst of Times: A Bio-Cultural Analysis of the Ferguson District, University of Nevada, Las Vegas
- The Pioche Record
- Nevada Historical Society Quarterly – Spring 1972
- Nevada Archaeologist, Volume 11, 1993