The Irving McDonald House, located in the historic heart of Tonopah, Nevada, stands as a testament to early 20th-century architecture and local history. Built in 1906, this stone house echoes the story of the town’s past and its notable inhabitants.
Irving McDonald House
Irving McDonald House Overview
The Irving McDonald House is renowned for its architectural significance and historical association with businessman and lawyer Irving McDonald. This stone-built residence exemplifies the local stone residential construction style of the early 1900s.
National Register Number
NRHP Reference No. 82003235
Irving McDonald House History
The house gained historical significance primarily due to its association with Irving McDonald, a prominent local businessman and lawyer. It represents the architectural style of the early 20th century in Tonopah.
- 1906: The Irving McDonald House was constructed.
- 1982: It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Tonopah, Nye County, Nevada
38°03′54″N 117°13′57″W (38.06491, -117.23253)
Speaking of mobile apps, two of my favorite mobile apps for exploring the southwest are two different mapping apps one that builds your schedule and the other helps me look to see if my rural destination is taking me to private or public lands. Highly recommend both!
- Roadtrippers Plus is $29.99 per year paid version that allows you to build longer itineraries, share your plans with friends, and use the app without ads. Click here to save $5 on your subscription to Roadtrippers.
- onX – click here to learn more about onX GPS Map App for Backcountry, Offroad, and Hunting.
191 Booker, Tonopah, Nevada
The Irving McDonald House in Tonopah, not just a structure of stone and mortar, is a portal to the bygone era of Nevada’s rich history, encapsulating the legacy of its people and the architectural ingenuity of the early 20th century.
Click here to view our list of History of the Southwest – Books and Online Resources to learn more about our amazing area!
- Paher, Stanley (1970), Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps, Howell-North Books
- Tingley, Joseph V., Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology Report 47 – Mining Districts of Nevada
- United States Geological Survey