Jacobsville Nevada Overview
The stone foundations of Jacobsville are a one-half mile north of here.
The town was established in 1859 as an Overland Stage and Mail Station and became a Pony Express stop in 1860.
In the early 1860s, it boasted of having the first telegraph relay station and was the first county seat of Lander County.
- Pony Express
Nevada Historical Marker Number
Jacobsville Nevada is Nevada Historical Marker #66.
Click here to view the complete list of Nevada State Historical Markers.
Nevada Historical Marker Transcription
The site of Jacobsville is one-half mile north. George Washington Jacobs, the first sheriff of Lander County, founded the town on the banks of the Reese River in 1859. Jacobsville was the Overland Stage and mail station and became a Pony Express stop in 1860. In the early 1860s, it had a population of about 400 people and boasted of having the first telegraph relay station, a post office, courthouse, three stores and two hotels.
Jacobsville was the first county seat of Lander County which extended over most of northeastern Nevada. The county seat was moved to the more populated town of Austin the same year it was established in Jacobsville. The only remnants of the town are a few stones used in the foundations. The Reese River, just west of here, was discovered by the exploring party of John Reese in 1854.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER NO. 66
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE
AUSTIN CHAMBER OF COMMERCE