Junction House Nevada
Junction House Nevada Overview
The earliest emigrants from the east crossed through Truckee Meadows at this point, and by 1853, the intersection was known as Junction House.
It was the first permanent settlement in this valley.
Governor Sparks owned the property in the late 1890s
Nevada Historical Category
Nevada Historical Marker Type
Stone marker and one inside too
Nevada Historical Marker Number
Junction House Nevada is Nevada Historical Marker #4.
Click here to view the full list of Nevada State Historical Markers.
Nevada Historical Marker Transcription
One of the busiest crossroads of pioneer Nevada converged at this point, serving many major toll roads of the area. The earliest emigrants from the east crossed through Truckee Meadows at this point, and by 1853, the intersection was known as Junction House, was the first permanent settlement in this valley and a stopping place for thousands.
Junction House, later called Andersons, was a station for toll roads of the 1860s including the turnpike to Washoe City, the Myron Lake Road to Oregon, the Geiger Road to Virginia City and the important Henness Pass route to California.
Governor Sparks bought the property in the late 1890s, and most recently it belonged to cattleman William Moffat.
CENTENNIAL MARKER No. 4
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE