Manhattan Nevada Overview
The Manhattan Mining District, northeast of here, was first organized in 1867.
In 1905, gold was discovered and a typical boom followed. Soon the camp had a post office, telegraph, utilities, and businesses.
After an earthquake in 1906, mining switched from big investors to lessees.
Nevada Historical Marker Number
Manhattan Nevada is Nevada Historical Marker #97.
Click here to view the full list of Nevada State Historical Markers.
Nevada Historical Marker Transcription
MANHATTAN – “THE PINE TREE CAMP”
The Manhattan Mining District northeast of here was first organized in 1867. The place name persisted in local use and was adopted in 1905, when John Humphrey found gold at the foot of April Fool Hill near the old stage route. A typical boom followed. A post office opened late in 1905 and the camp soon had a telegraph, and telephones, utilities, and businesses. Transport was to Tonopah and the railroad at Sodaville.
The 1906 earthquake halted mining investment. As a result, most of the productive work here was done by lessees. The gold strikes were in ore and placer deposits, and by 1909, there were thirteen mines and sixteen placers. Some of the operations were the big four: Litigation Hill Merger, Stray Dog, September Fraction, and White Caps. Hydraulic placering started in 1909. In 1938, dredging began and continued for thirteen years. Over $10,000,000 was produced.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER No. 97
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE
CENTRAL NEVADA DEVELOPMENT ASSOCIATION