Moana Springs Overview
Opened as a resort in 1905, Moana Springs had a large bath house with a pool fed by hot springs, a hotel, and other recreation amenities.
The City of Reno purchased Moana in 1956 and the remaining buildings were demolished the next year to make way for a new recreational complex.
Small blue marker
Nevada Historical Marker Number
Moana Springs is Nevada Historical Marker #234.
Click here to view the full list of Nevada State Historical Markers.
Nevada Historical Marker Transcription
Opened as a resort on October 29, 1905, Moana Springs took its name from a famous Hawaiian spa. In addition to a large bath house with a pool fed by hot springs, Moana had a stately hotel, a clubhouse, baseball diamond and picnic grounds. Constructed and initially operated by Charles T. Short, (who gave the resort its name), Al North and John N. Evans, Moana was acquired by Louis W. Berrum in 1913 and remained in his family for the next four decades. Served by Berrum’s Nevada interurban trolley line from 1907 to 1920, Moana hosted dances, rodeos, boxing matches, trapshoots, circuses and aviation exhibitions. The City of Reno purchased Moana in 1956 and the remaining buildings were demolished the next year to make way for a new recreational complex.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER No. 234
DIVISION OF HISTORIC PRESERVATION AND ARCHEOLOGY
WASHOE COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY