Mound House Nevada
Mound House Nevada Overview
Located a one-half mile north of this point, Mound House started off as a station and siding on the Virginia and Truckee Railroad in 1871.
In 1880, the Carson and Colorado rail was built from here to the mining camps of western Nevada and eastern California.
In 1900, the Southern Pacific Railroad purchased the two railroads.
From 1900 to 1920, immediately northwest of Mound House, extensive gypsum mining and milling operations were carried on.
Nevada Historical Marker Number
Mound House Nevada is Nevada Historical Marker #61.
Click here to view the complete list of Nevada State Historical Markers.
Nevada Historical Marker Transcription
Mound House was located one-half mile north of this point. Originally constructed in 1871 as a station and siding on the Virginia and Truckee Railroad, it served for some time simply as a wood and water stop. In 1877, a post office was established. Mound House came into its own in 1880, when the V & T began construction of a narrow-gauge railroad from here to the mining camps of western Nevada and the Owens Valley region of California. Named the Carson & Colorado, it turned Mound House into a booming shipping point.
The Southern Pacific Railroad purchased the C & C from the V & T 1900, just prior to the Tonopah silver strike. In 1905, the Southern Pacific built a short line from its new station at Hazen, on the main line, to intersect the C & C at Fort Churchill. The Hazen cutoff took most of the booming Tonopah-Goldfield business away from the V & T.
From 1900 to 1920, extensive gypsum mining and milling operations, to produce plaster, were carried on immediately northwest of Mound House.
The narrow-gauge line was abandoned from Mound House to Fort Churchill in 1934 and the V & T track from Carson City to Virginia City in 1938. Within a few years, Mound House had disappeared.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER NO. 61
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE
JULIA C. BULETTE CHAPTER
E. CLAMPUS VITUS