Skip to Content

Nevada Ghost Towns

Nevada Ghost Towns

In the old west, there was a boom and then there was a bust. With the bust came deserted towns with some still standing.

If you want to explore some off-the-beaten-path types of attractions in Nevada, maybe a ghost tour is of interest to you.

There are hundreds of known ghost towns and “semi-ghost towns” in Nevada; the list below is long and as we build out the details on each one, we will provide a link below. Some of the “towns” listed below never formed into towns but may have been small mining camps, mining districts, stage stops, etc. but we are including them. 

If you are searching for a ghost town in Nevada but do not know the county, use the search function at the top of our site to find the ghost town you are wanting to find.

Please note, most of these old mining districts and ghost towns require four-wheel drive and/or high-clearance vehicles. Also, they may now be on private land so be sure to research before you go. And always be careful around old mines as they can be dangerous.

Did we miss your favorite ghost town in Nevada? If so, comment below to share with others!

Learn about Ghost Towns in the Southwest.

If you are hitting the road be sure you are equipped for emergencies – read our article on what to pack for a road trip and mobile apps for exploring.

Additionally, several of these towns like many others are near dangerous mines.
Never enter abandoned mines, caves, or old structures.

Also, be aware of public lands or private property.

Abandoned building in Rhyolite ghost town in Nevada

Below are the “conditions” of the site to determine which type of site it is (from Wikipedia):

Ghost towns can include sites in various states of disrepair and abandonment. Some sites no longer have any trace of buildings or civilization and have reverted to empty land. Other sites are unpopulated but still have standing buildings. Still, others may support full-time residents, though usually far fewer than at their historical peak, while others may now be museums or historical sites.

For ease of reference, the sites listed have been placed into one of the following general categories.

Barren site
  • The site is no longer in existence
  • The site has been destroyed, covered with water, or has reverted to empty land
  • May have at most a few difficult-to-find foundations/footings
Neglected site
  • Little more than rubble remains at the site
  • Dilapidated, often roofless buildings remain at the site
Abandoned site
  • Buildings or houses still standing, but all or almost all are abandoned
  • No population, with the possible exception of a caretaker
  • The site is no longer in use, except for one or two buildings
Semi-abandoned site
  • Buildings or houses still standing, but most are abandoned
  • A few residents may remain
Historic site
  • Buildings or houses still standing
  • The site has been converted into a historical site, museum, or tourist attraction
  • Still a busy community, but the population is smaller than in its peak years

Click here to view our recommended mobile apps for the outdoor explorer and what to take on your next road trip.

Speaking of mobile apps, two of my favorite mobile apps for exploring the southwest are two different mapping apps one that builds your schedule and the other helps me look to see if my rural destination is taking me to private or public lands. Highly recommend both!

  1. Roadtrippers Plus is $29.99 per year paid version of the app that allows you to build longer itineraries, share your plans with friends, and use the app without ads. Click here to save $5 on your subscription to Roadtrippers.
  2. onX – click here to learn more about onX GPS Map App for Backcountry, Offroad, and Hunting.


  • We are working on sorting out the ghost towns as some change counties, names, and more so please let us know if you have information to help with the lists below.
  • If you find an error, please let us know. We are compiling the content from our various sites into one new home and have a lot of reconciling of content to do

Churchill County Nevada Ghost Towns

Churchill County was created on November 25, 1861, by the legislature of Nevada Territory which organized the first nine counties. The boundaries have undergone various changes. The name was derived from Fort Churchill, which was named for Captain Charles C. Churchill. 

The county is in west central Nevada and is bounded by Pershing County on the north, Lander County on the east, Mineral, Lyon, and Nye Counties to the south, and Washoe County and Lyon Counties to the west. 

  1. Alpine (Clan Alpine) – A mining district organized in 1864, north of Eastgate and named for the Clan Alpine Range. An early mining district, which was named for a Scotch clan.
  2. Aspen (Nigger Well and Tucker Well)
  3. Averill
  4. Azurite
  5. Bango – Located 4.5 miles south of Hazen, Bango is a station on the Southern Pacific Railroad section from Hazen to Fort Churchill. Construction of this rail section took place from April, 1905, to September 1, 1905.
  6. Bell Mountain (Fairview) – A mining district 43 miles southeast of Fallon, which was possibly named for Charles Bell, prospector of the district.
  7. Bermond Station (Frenchman and Frenchy’s) – Founded in 1904, it was named for Aime “Frenchy” Bermond who was a French immigrant. The site was also known as Frenchman or “Frenchy’s from 1906 – 1920 and later as Bermond Station from 1920 – 1926.
  8. Bernice (Alamo, Casket, Salina, Salinas) – A mining district on the east side of Dixie Valley, 60 miles northeast of Fallon. Named for a miner’s sweetheart.
  9. Bisby’s Station – Bisbys, an early station, is shown on the 1868 cadastral survey.
  10. Bolivia (Nickel) – A mining district east of Stillwater Range, near the Pershing County line, north of Boyer and the Humboldt Salt Marsh.
  11. Boyer – A mining district about or near Table Mountain. Named for Alva Boyer, the discoverer of copper ore on Table Mountain.
  12. Broken Hills (Hot Spring) – A mining district between Fairview and Ellsworth Ranges in southeastern Churchill County, extending into Nye County. So named for the character of the surrounding district.
  13. Browns (Toy) – A mining district on the Pershing County border. Named for Brown’s Station, which was for the proprietor in 1870.
  14. Camp Gregory
  15. Camp McGarry
  16. Camp Terril
  17. Canyon
  18. Carroll – A mining district T 16 NR 38 E, and a summit on the boundary line between Lander and Churchill Counties.
  19. Carson – A river formerly emptying into Carson Lake, now into Lahontan Reservoir. Lieutenant John C. Fremont named it for his guide Kit Carson with other features named for the river. 
  20. Carson Sink Station
  21. Castle Rock Station
  22. Chalk Mountain -A mining district in T 17 NR 34 E named for the geological and mineral character of the hill.
  23. Chalk Wells
  24. Clemens (Clements, Rockwell Station, Rock Spring Station)
  25. Cold Springs
  26. Cold Springs Station
  27. Coppereid (White Cloud, White Cloud City) – Originally named for a canyon known for iron mines and then known as Coppereid (coined by copper miner John T. Reid).
  28. Copper Kettle (Cooper) –  A mining district, the main metal copper, located in Copper Kettle or Grime Canyon on the west slope of the Stillwater Range, discovered in 1908 and named for the canyon.
  29. Cottonwood
  30. Cottonwood Canyon – A mining district in the northeastern part of the county, 44 miles from Boyer’s Ranch. Discovered in 1861 and named for the characteristic tree.
  31. Cox Station
  32. Cressid
  33. Deep Hollow
  34. Desatoya – A mountain range running through three counties. It forms the southeast boundary between Churchill and Landers Counties. Students first thought the name came from the Spanish word “desatollar” meaning to get out of the mud but it seems more likely a Paiute word meaning “big black mountain.”
  35. Dillard’s Freight Station
  36. Dixie
  37. Dixie Marsh (Leete) – A mining district east of Stillwater Range in the northeastern part of the county, organized in 1861 and active until 1868. A favorite name used by Southern sympathizers.
  38. Dixie Valley (Dixie, Marvel, Silver Hill) – Named by Southern Sympathizers, the abandoned town of Dixie was established at the head of Dixie Valley in 1861 and was acquired in 1995 by the US Navy for the Fallon Range Training Complex (FRTC).
  39. Dry Lake – Between Clan Alpine Mountains and New Pass Range in the eastern part of the country. Named because of the scarcity of water in the lake most of the year.
  40. Eagle Canyon
  41. Eagle Marsh – A mining district on the old line of the Central Pacific in northwest Churchill County. B. F. Leete established a salt works there in 1871. Named for an eagle’s nest in the vicinity.
  42. Eagleville (Hot Springs) – A mining district 64 miles southwest of Fallon, organized in 1905. Named for an eagle’s nest in the vicinity.
  43. Eastgate – A town and mining district on the west slope of the Desatoya Range near the Lander County line. The mountain comes close together to form a pass into the valley, for which the town is named.
  44. Eastgate Station
  45. Edwards Creek Station
  46. Fairview – The discovery of silver in 1905 helped found Fairview which was prosperous until 1912 with the post office closing in May 1919. One of the few remnants of the old town is the bank vault from the first town site’s bank, which can be seen from the nearby Austin-Lincoln Highway.
  47. Falais
  48. Fairview Station
  49. Fallon
  50. Fanning
  51. Fillmore
  52. Fireball
  53. Fort Findley
  54. Gregory
  55. Hazen – The town, established in 1903, housed laborers working on the Newlands irrigation project to the south. In 1906, the Southern Pacific Railroad built a large roundhouse and depot here. 
  56. Hercules – The camp of Hercules was registered at the county recorder’s office July 24, 1906. Within the month, the National Bar and Cafe was built. The townsite also had a grocery store and a two-story boarding house and hotel.
  57. Hill (Hill and Grimes)
  58. Holy Cross
  59. Hunt
  60. Huxley
  61. Island City
  62. IXL (Silver Hill)
  63. Holy Cross (Allen Hot Springs, Fallon Mining District, Terrill Mining District, and Wild Horse Mining District)
  64. Jessup – Briefly known as White Canyon, Jessup was founded in 1908 after silver and gold mines were claimed. All that remains today are a few dilapidated wood buildings and abandoned mines. Jessup is home to Nevada’s tallest radio tower, Shamrock-Jessup, which is home to six radio stations.
  65. Kent’s Camp
  66. Kingston
  67. Lahontan
  68. Lahontan City – Active from 1911 – 1915, the city was established to house the workers who lived there to build the Lahontan Dam.
  69. Lake
  70. La Plata – Named for the Spanish word for “the silver,” La Plata, is located in the Stillwater Mountains near Mountain Wells, not much remains other than the old courthouse walls.
  71. Magee Station
  72. Mahala
  73. Middlegate
  74. Midvale
  75. Mill Canyon
  76. Mirage
  77. Miriam 
  78. Mountain Wells
  79. Nevada City – It was founded in 1916 as a socialist community known as the Nevada Cooperative Colony, but due to misleading advertising, mismanagement, and possibly dubious financial dealings by the Nevada Colony Corporation’s directors, who were connected with the similar Llano del Rio colony near Los Angeles, the project folded in 1919.
  80. Nevada Hills
  81. Nightingale
  82. Northam (Willowtown)
  83. Ocala 
  84. Parran – Established in 1910, this ghost town was home to a telegraph station and a post office, which closed in 1913.
  85. Ragtown (Leeteville) – The name Ragtown came from the rags cast off by the tattered clothing of immigrants that were hung in bushes to dry after being washed. Abandoned in 1854, Ragtown was a trading post west of Fallon, Nevada.
  86. Red Top – The brief occupation of Red Top camp lasted a few months from November 1906 to the fall of 1907 and was likely no more than a platted site.
  87. Sand Springs Marsh
  88. St. Clair Station
  89. Salt Wells (Petersons) – Borax was discovered in Salt Wells, Nevada by William Throop who brought in the American Borax Company in 1870 to build plants to produce borax from the deposits found in the area. 
  90. Sand Springs Station
  91. Shady Run (Fondaway and Silver Hill) – Exploration of the Shady Run District occurred in the 1860’s. When gold was discovered 1/2 mile up the canyon in March, 1908, Shady Run was established.
  92. Saint Clair – Located 3 miles west of Fallon, St. Clair was a popular trading post and station during the 1860s.
  93. Sand Hill Station
  94. Sand Springs
  95. Soda Lake
  96. Stillwater – A 19th-century ghost town, Stillwater was the county seat of Churchill County, Nevada until it was moved to Fallon, Nevada in 1903. Named after the sluggish waterway, Stillwater Slough, the town grew around the Pony Express stop.
  97. Table Mountain
  98. Trinity
  99. Upsal
  100. Victor
  101. Water Station
  102. Westgate
  103. White Plains (White Plains Flat and Desert): A mining district on Soda Flat, west of Parran, a range in the southwest corner of the county, in the Hot Springs Range west of Soda Flat. Named from the character of the country. Also known as White Plains for the soda deposits from a nearby plain, White Plains was also known as While Plains Station and Whiteplains. Silver mining began in 1864 and a mill was established in 1864 but closed shortly after due to the shortage of fuel and water. Stone ruins are visible in the area.
  104. Wightman Well
  105. Wildcat Freight Station (Allen’s Station and Alan’s) – Lemuel Allen moved to the site on December 1, 1863. ‘He there established a station called ‘The Wild Cat,’ taking his father as partner…The station was on the old Pony Road, and the family remained until 1867…'”
  106. Wonder – Established in 1906, Wonder was an active mining town for over a decade and by 1919 the vines “dried up” and the town slowly became the ghost town it is today.
  107. Yankee Girl Camp – A prospector named Gould discovered gold in 1907, shortly after the Rawhide discovery. Yankee Girl Camp was established, although the mines didn’t do much. Shipment of gold-silver-copper ore amounted to $1,260. The camp can’t be located precisely without further research.

Clark County Nevada Ghost Towns

Clark County, Nevada was created on February 5, 1908, from the southern part of Lincoln County and was named for Senator William A. Clark of Montana.

  1. Alunite – A mining district at the southeast end of Las Vegas, at a low gap known as Railroad Pass, was discovered in 1908 and was named for the alunite in the district.
  2. Apex
  3. Arden (Bard) – A mining district in Spring Mountain Range 5 miles west of the town that was discovered in 1909. Bard, a town on the Union Pacific Railroad southwest of Las Vegas that was established about 1905, is sometimes considered to be a separate district. Named after D. C. Bard, a natural scientist, mining engineer, and geologist. Bard is considered an “extinct” town.
  4. Alturas – Located in the El Dorado Canyon, Alturas was a mining camp near the Techatticup Mine.
  5. Big Muddy – A mining district near Overton named for the Muddy River.
  6. Bonelli’s Ferry (Old Bonelli’s Ferry) – Named for Daniel Bonelli, a Mormon missionary, who discovered ore near there.
  7. Borax – A town on the Union Pacific Railroad near the western border of the county that was settled about 1905 and named for the borax deposits in this region.
  8. Buster Falls
  9. Byron – The first station southwest of Moapa on the Union Pacific Railroad.
  10. Callville – Established in 1864 by Anson Call, Dr. James Whitemoe, A. M. Cannon, and Jacob Hamblin and his son, the town was abandoned in 1869, Callville was submerged 400′ under Lake Mead when the Colorado River was dammed. Jacob Hamblin was well known in the Southwest and has an arch named after him located in Coyote Gulch.
  11. Charleston – A mining district 35 miles west of Las Vegas named by southerners in the district.
  12. Colorado City – A mining camp, Colorado City was established in 1861 and is now located at the mouth of El Dorado Canyon under Lake Mohave due to the construction of the Davis Dam in 1951.
  13. Cow Town
  14. Crescent (Crescent Peak, New York, and Timber Mountain) – A camp, mining district, and a peak in southern Clark County near the California-Nevada boundary line.
  15. Crystal
  16. Dike – A mining district with very little information to be found.
  17. Dry Lake
  18. Eldorado Canyon
  19. El Dorado City – In 1839 gold and silver were discovered in Eldorado Canyon and almost $5 million was removed in the 40 years of operations. During its heyday, it achieved a reputation as one of the most notorious towns in the West.
  20. Erie
  21. Garnet
  22. Gass Peak – A mining district.
  23. Gold Butte – Discovered in 1908 and named for free gold found at the surface.
  24. Glendale – A junction station on the bottoms of the Moapa River in northeast Clark County. The Mormons settled here in 1855.
  25. Goodsprings (Good Springs, Yellow Pine, Yellowpine, Potosi, Clarke, Ivanpah, Miguel Marsh, New England, and Wheeler)  A town on Nevada 53 that is 8 miles from Jean. Named for Joseph Good, a pioneer, who gave the name to the springs.
  26. Hellzapoppin – A mining district.
  27. Joe May Canyon – A mining district.
  28. Juan
  29. Kaolin
  30. Key West
  31. Kingston
  32. Las Vegas Mission
  33. Louisville 
  34. Lovell
  35. Lucky Jim Camp 
  36. McClanahan – A mining district.
  37. Moapa – A mining district.
  38. Muddy Mountains– A mining district.
  39. Nelson – A town in the El Dorado Canyon of the Opal Mountain about 26 miles southwest of Boulder Dam.  Settled in 1906 as a business center for the El Dorado Mining District. Named after Charles Nelson, an old prospector who was murdered by an Indian.
  40. Newberry – A mining district.
  41. Owens
  42. Platina
  43. Potosi – Site of Nevada’s oldest lode mine, with the discovery of lead deposits by Mormons from the Las Vegas Mission in 1856, the Potosi mine was a producer of lead, zinc, and silver well into the 20th century. Named for a lead mining town in southwestern Wisconsin that is of Spanish origin.
  44. Quartette
  45. Rioville (Junction City)  – Mormon settlement now submerged under Lake Mead.
  46. Roach
  47. Saint Joseph  
  48. San Juan  
  49. Sandy
  50. Searchlight – A town in southwest Clark County on US 95 about 24 miles from the California boundary. Ore was discovered in 1897. The town was probably named for Lloyd Searchlight, former owner of the Goldenrod group of claims.
  51. Simonsville 
  52. Slate– A mining district.
  53. Sloan – A mining district.
  54. St Joseph
  55. St Thomas – Founded 8 Jan 1865 by Mormon settlers sent by Brigham Young to the confluence of the Muddy and Virgin Rivers, St. Thomas had fewer than 500 residents but was a popular stop along the Arrowhead Trail. The town and surrounding land were purchased by the Federal government in the 1930s to make way for Lake Mead, which led to most of the residents moving to nearby Overton. After the completion of Hoover Dam (then called Boulder Dam), the waters rose to cover the foundations of the town’s buildings, and when the lake was low, the remnants of St. Thomas are visible.
  56. Stone’s Ferry
  57. Sunset
  58. Sutor – A mining district.
  59. Three Kids – A mining district.
  60. Tolicha – A mining district.
  61. Tristate
  62. Ute
  63. Valley
  64. Wann
  65. West Point
  66. White Caps – A mining district.

Douglas County, Nevada Ghost Towns

Douglas County was created on November 25, 1861, and was one of the first nine counties formed after the territory of Nevada was separated from the Utah Territory and was named for Stephen A. Douglas, a nationally known political figure and opponent of Abraham Lincoln.

  1. Blue Ridge
  2. Buckskin
  3. Bullionville – A mining district T 11 N R 22 E in the south end of the Pine Nut Range and named for the oar.
  4. Carter’s Station (Mammoth Ledge)
  5. Delaware (Brunswick, Brunswick Canyon, Hot Springs, San Francisco, Sullivan)
  6. Double Spring(s) (Spragues)
  7. Fridays (Edgewood, Burke and Smalls Station, Smalls, and Small’s Station)
  8. Gardnerville – A town founded in 1880 18 miles south of Carson City in the northwest part of the county. Named for John Gardner, a rancher, by Lawrence Gilman, the founder.
  9. Genessee
  10. Genoa – The oldest settlement in Nevada on the west side of the Carson River, settled in 1848. Named by Judge Orson Hyde for the birthplace of Columbus.
  11. Glenbrook – A town in the northwest part of the county in a sheltered corner of the east-central shore of Lake Tahoe that was settled in 1860. Named for a hotel “Glenbrook House” located there, in turn for the natural features.
  12. Green Valley
  13. Mottsville
  14. Mount Siegel (Sunrise)
  15. Mountain House (Burnt Cabin, Holbrook, Pine Nut, Eagle, Mammoth Eagle, Sulphur Spring) – Originally known as Burnt Cabin before changing to Mountain House. A mining district in the Pine Nut Range in southern Douglas County. Named for Mr. Charles Holbrook, one-time proprietor of the station.
  16. Red Canyon (Silver Lake, Bullionville, Eagle, Mammoth Eagle, Pine Nut)
  17. Risue Canyon (Wellington)
  18. Sheridan
  19. Silver Star (Gold Range, Mina, Excelsior, Camp Douglas, Marietta, Black Mountain)
  20. Summit Camp (Summit)
  21. Van Sickles
  22. Wellington (Silver Glance, Wright, Risue Canyon)
  23. Wheelers (Tisdell and Twelve Mile House)

Elko County, Nevada Ghost Towns

Elko County, Nevada was created under the authority of an act of March 5, 1869, the boundary lines were again defined on March 1, 1871.

  1. Afton
  2. Alazon – First station west of Wells on the Southern Pacific Railroad.
  3. Albama Mining District
  4. Alder – A mining district north of Gold Creek and northwest of Charleston. So named for the alder shrubs growing in the region.
  5. Arthur – A town on Nevada 11 that is 27 miles southeast of US 40 between the East Humboldt and Ruby Ranges. Settled in 1874 and named after Chester A. Arthur, the twenty-first president of the United States.
  6. Aura – A mining district 79 miles north of Elko, on the east slope of the bull Run Range. Discovered by Jesse Cope and his party in 1869. the name derived from the Latin aurum for gold.
  7. Battle Creek
  8. Bauvard
  9. Black Forest – A town between Wells and Currie on the eastern slope of Spruce Mountain that was settled in 1872 and named from dark appearance of trees.
  10. Blue Jacket
  11. Bootstrap
  12. Bruno City
  13. Buel
  14. Bull Run – A mining district in the Bull Run Mountains and named after the famous battle of the Civil War.
  15. Bullion
  16. Bullion City aka Railroad City
  17. Burner – A mining district in northwest Elko County near the Humboldt County line named for J. F. Burner, an early prospector.
  18. Cave Creek
  19. Charleston – A town northwest of Deeth. Named for Tom Charles, a miner living there in 1896.
  20. Coal Canyon
  21. Cobre – A town on the end of the Nevada Northern Railroad on the Southern Pacific Railroad. Named for the copper deposits, from the Spanish word “Cobre” which means copper.
  22. Columbia – A mining district just north of Aura that was discovered in 1869.
  23. Contact – A town on a branch of the Union Pacific Railroad between Twin Falls, Idaho, and Wells, Nevada that was named for a mining term.
  24. Cornucopia
  25. Currie – A town on the Nevada Northern Railroad between Cobre and McGill that was named for Joseph H. Currie.
  26. Decoy
  27. Deeth – A town on the Southern Pacific Railroad, between Wells and Elko, a shipping point for the livestock country, settled in 1868 and named for the first settler by a Southern Pacific civil engineer.
  28. Delano – A mining district in the northeastern corner of Elko County, 35 miles north of Montello. Named for the old-time Elko County trapper.
  29. Delker – A mining district northwest of Currie, discovered in 1894.
  30. Dinner Station
  31. Divide – A mining district 8 miles northwest of Tuscarora at the head of Dry Creek. Named for the fact that the district is on the divide between Humboldt and Snake River basins.
  32. Dolly Varden
  33. Edgemont
  34. Elk Mountain – A mining district on the range named for the elk found there.
  35. Falcon
  36. Ferber
  37. Ferguson Springs
  38. Fort Halleck
  39. Fort Ruby
  40. Gold Creek – A town 75 miles north of Elko and a mining district southwest of Mountain City.
  41. Good Hope
  42. Halleck – A town on the Southern Pacific Railroad, northeast of Elko on T 35 N R 59 E. Named in honor of General Henry W. Halleck, one-time commander of the Pacific Military Division.
  43. Harrison Pass
  44. Hicks District
  45. Hickneyville
  46. Hubbard
  47. Ivada
  48. Ivanhoe
  49. Jack Creek
  50. Jacob’s Well
  51. Jarbidge
  52. Jasper
  53. Jiggs – A town south of Elko on Nevaa 46. The name was given by Post Office Department to the settlement formerly called Hylton and Skelton, chosen from a list presented by residents of the locality. Named because of the bitter controversy over names.
  54. Joy (White Pine County)
  55. Kingsley
  56. Lamoille – Named for a French Canadian trapper who built a cabin on the creek and made it his headquarters in the 1850s.
  57. Lee – A town between Lamoille and Jiggs that was settled in 1863. Named for nearby Lee Creek by J. L. Martin. Lee Creek was named for General Robert E. Lee. 
  58. Lone Mountain – A mining district 28 miles northwest of Elko that was organized in 1869. Named because it rises above the main axis of the range.
  59. Metropolis – A town northwest of Wells that was settled in 1911 by the Metropolis Land Company under a land colonization plan that was not as successful as was hoped.
  60. Microna
  61. Midas – A town 43 miles west of Tuscarora on Nevada 18 that was settled in 1907. Named after the old legend of “King Midas and his Golden Touch.”
  62. Monarch Mine
  63. Montello – A town on the Southern Pacific Railroad just west of the Utah Line that was settled in 1869 and named by railroad officials.
  64. Mountain City – A town and mining district at the southeast corner of the Duck Valley Indian Reservation near the Idaho line that was settled in 1869 and named for its natural setting.
  65. Mud Springs – A mining district between Franklin and Ruby Lakes on the west and Currie to the east that was discovered n 1910 and named for the nearby springs.
  66. North Fork – A town on the north fork of the Humboldt River and on the Nevada 43 about 50 miles north of Elko.
  67. Patsville
  68. Proctor
  69. Rio Tinto – A mining camp near the Mountain City. Named by S. Frank Hunt discoverer of the Rio Tinto Mine, which he named for a mine in Spain. 
  70. Rowland – A town near the Idaho line between Jarbidge and Mountain City that was settled in 1889 by John B. Scott and named for Rowland Gill, a stockman, and settler of 1889.
  71. Ruby City
  72. Shafter – A town on the Western Pacific Railroad between Wells and Wendover that was named for General W. R. Shafter who was a commander in the US army in Cuba during the Spanish American War. 
  73. Shepherd’s Station
  74. Sherman
  75. Silver Zone – A town on the Western Pacific Railroad between Shafter and Arnold.
  76. South Fork 
  77. Spruce Mountain – A mining district on the peak and named for the spruce trees of the region.
  78. Sprucemount – A town southwest of Spruce Mountain and 7 miles east of US 93.
  79. Starr King
  80. Stofiel
  81. Swalls Mountain – A peak in the Independence Range southwest of Monument Peak that was named for a prospector. Also spelled Swails.
  82. Tacoma
  83. Taylors
  84. Tecoma
  85. Toano
  86. Tobar – A town southeast of Wells on the West Pacific Railroad named for Captain Tobar, who discovered gold in the Egan Canyon.
  87. Tulasco – A station on the Southern Pacific Railroad west of Wells.
  88. Tuscarora – A town on the southeast slope of Mt. Blitzen in the range, at the junction of Nevada 11 and Nevada 18, 45 miles northwest of Elko. Named by John Beard, first to the Indians here, because he came from North Carolina where the original tribe lived then to the camp and mountains.
  89. Valley Pass – A town northwest of Cobre and a pass connecting two valleys.
  90. Valley View
  91. Ventosa
  92. Wardell
  93. Warm Creek
  94. White Horse – A mining district around White Horse Springs in the Goshute Range in southeastern Elko County.
  95. White Rock

Esmeralda County, Nevada Ghost Towns

Esmeralda County was formed under the act of November 25, 1861.

  1. Alkali Spring
  2. Benton
  3. Blair
  4. Bullfrog
  5. Carrara
  6. Coaldale
  7. Columbia
  8. Columbus
  9. Crow Spring
  10. Cuprite
  11. Diamondfield
  12. Divide
  13. Fish Lake
  14. Gilbert – A town 25 miles west of Tonopah and east of Monte Cristo Range settled in 1925. Named for the three Gilbert brothers who were prospectors.
  15. Goldfield – A town settled in 1903 in the eastern part of the county discovered in 1902 and named for the great gold discovery.
  16. Gold Point
  17. Gold Hitt
  18. Gold Mountain – A mining district on the flank of a peak of the same name 20 miles southeast of Linda Valley that was named because of gold nuggets found there in the early days.
  19. Gold Point
  20. Gold Reef
  21. Hornsilver
  22. Klondike 
  23. Lida
  24. Lime Point
  25. Millers – A town and mining district 14 miles northwest of Tonopah.
  26. Montgomery City
  27. Montezuma
  28. Nivlock
  29. Oriental
  30. Palmetto
  31. Phillipsburg
  32. Pigeon Springs
  33. Red Rock Mine
  34. Royston
  35. Silver Peak
  36. Stateline
  37. Stonewall
  38. Sylvania
  39. Sylvania Mining District
  40. Tokop
  41. Tule Canyon
  42. Weepah

Eureka County, Nevada Ghost Towns

Eureka County was created on March 1, 1873.

  1. Alpha
  2. Beowawe – A town on the Humboldt River on the Southern Pacific Railroad and the Western Pacific Railroad. Known to emigrants as Gravelly Ford.
  3. Birch – A town on the west side of the Diamond Mountains 26 miles northeast of Eureka and was named in honor of James E. Birch, pioneer stage man of the Old West.
  4. Blackburn
  5. Box Springs
  6. Buckhorn
  7. Cedar
  8. Cluro
  9. Columbia
  10. Cortez – A mining district located at the town of that name on the southwest slope of Mt. Tenabo that was settled in 1863 and named for the Spanish conqueror of Mexico.
  11. Corwin
  12. Deep Wells
  13. Diamond City
  14. Diamond Springs
  15. Evans
  16. Eureka – A town settled in 1864 and made the county seat in 1873. A mining district organized September 19, 1864 both located west of Diamond Range on US 50 in the southeastern part of the county. Named because one of the discoverers upon finding silver ore shouted “Eureka.”
  17. Geddes
  18. Gerald
  19. Goldville
  20. Goodwin
  21. Gravelly Ford
  22. Grubbs Well
  23. Hay Ranch
  24. Hot Springs
  25. Keystone
  26. Mill Canyon – A mining district in the Cortez Mountain northeast of Buckhorn organized in 1863 and named for a mill erected in the canyon in 1864.
  27. Mineral
  28. Mineral Hill
  29. Mount Hope
  30. Napias
  31. Nevin
  32. Oak
  33. Palisade
  34. Pine
  35. Pinto
  36. Prospect
  37. Rains
  38. Roberts Creek Station
  39. Romano
  40. Ruby Hill
  41. Safford
  42. Sherwood
  43. Sulphur Springs Station
  44. Summit
  45. Tonkin
  46. Union
  47. Vanderbilt
  48. White
  49. Willards

Humboldt County. Nevada Ghost Towns

Humboldt County was created under the act of November 25, 1861.

  1. Buckskin
  2. Buffalo Meadows
  3. Camp McGarry
  4. Camp Winfield Scott
  5. Cane Springs
  6. Daveytown
  7. Dutch Flat 
  8. Fort McDermitt
  9. Getchell Mine
  10. Golconda  
  11. Gold Run
  12. Hardin City
  13. Jumbo
  14. Jungo  
  15. Laurel
  16. Leadville
  17. National
  18. Paradise Valley
  19. Paradise Well
  20. Queen City
  21. Rattlesnake Station
  22. Rebel Creek
  23. Red Butte
  24. Sod House
  25. Spring City
  26. Sulphur
  27. Varyville
  28. Vicksburg (Ashdown)
  29. Willow Creek (Platora)
  30. Willow Point

Lander County, Nevada Ghost Towns

Lander County was created on December 19, 182, and was named in honor of General Frederick W. Lander.

  1. Amador
  2. Argenta
  3. Austin
  4. Bailey
  5. Bannock
  6. Battle Mountain
  7. Betty Oneal
  8. Bridges
  9. Buckingham Camp
  10. Bunker Hill
  11. Burro
  12. Buzanes Camp
  13. Canyon
  14. Canyon City
  15. Carroll
  16. Catons
  17. Clifton
  18. Clinton
  19. Copper Basin
  20. Copper Canyon
  21. Cortez
  22. Curtis
  23. Dillon
  24. Dry Creek Station
  25. Frisbie
  26. Galena
  27. Geneva
  28. Gold Acres
  29. Gold Park
  30. Grass Valley
  31. Guadalajara
  32. Gweenah
  33. Hilltop
  34. Hot Springs
  35. Jacobsville
  36. Jersey City
  37. Kingston
  38. Lander
  39. Ledlie
  40. Lewis
  41. McCoy
  42. Mill Canyon
  43. Mound Springs
  44. Mount Airy
  45. Mud Springs
  46. New Pass
  47. New Pass Station
  48. Old Battle Mountain
  49. Pittsburgh
  50. Ravenswood
  51. San Juan
  52. Silver Creek
  53. Simpson Park
  54. Skookum
  55. Smith Creek Station
  56. Starr
  57. Telluride
  58. Tenabo
  59. Trenton
  60. Vaughns
  61. Walters
  62. Washington
  63. Yankee Blade

Lincoln County, Nevada Ghost Towns

Lincoln County, Nevada was created on February 25, 1866, and was named in honor of Abraham Lincoln.

  1. Acoma, Nevada – A town on a dirt road off US 93 near the Nevada – Utah border, 22 miles east of Caliente. The name originated with a Native American term meaning “people of the village.” Settled in 1905. Acoma was a station, siding, engine water location, and once a thriving community on the San Pedro, Los Angeles, & Salt Lake Railroad, now Union Pacific. Acoma supported a Post Office from April 29, 1905, to December 16, 1907, and again from January 14, 1910, to Nov. 15, 1913. Numerous sources suggest that this was also a mining camp but have not found first hard evidence to support those claims. The station and housing are long dismantled. The foundations of an old farmhouse can be found down by the well. Today, a modern home, built upon the hill, overlooks the well area, cow pasture, and railroad siding. The Union Pacific Railroad is crossed by the County Road to Beaver Dam State Park adjacent to where the old station and railroad worker domiciles were located.
  2. Alamo, Nevada (Richardsville, Wright’s) – A town on US 93 between Hiko and Silver Canyon ranges, south of Hiko and north of Pahranagat. The name comes from the Spanish word for “popular,” as in the famous battle of the Alamo. While the community of Alamo was settled in 1900, the roots of the community trace back to 1865. Early evidence of occupation can be found from the upper reaches of old Maynard Lake to Ash Springs. Often referred to on pre-1900 maps as Wright’s Ranch or Wrights, Alamo first flourished as an agricultural source for the Delamar Mining District. Alamo has had its post office since 1905.
  3. Atlanta, Nevada (Atlanta Siding)
  4. Atlanta, Nevada (Silver Park) – A siding on the Prince Consolidated Mining and Smelting Company Railroad, later Union Pacific where the Pioche Pacific (narrow gauge railroad running from Pioche to Jackrabbit) crossed and ran parallel to the regular gauge siding. Rail grades and some foundations remain. Silver was discovered in 1869 but the rush to the area was halted by the discoveries at Hamilton in White Pine County. But in 1871, work began again and two mills were in full operation by the next year. Production continued until 1878. A new strike in 1909 brought about 100 to the district. But the ore wasn’t rich enough to sustain the camp and it folded the next year. Wood cabins remain.
  5. Barclay, Nevada (Clover Valley and Joseco) – A town on the Union Pacific Railroad southwest of Acoma near the Nevada – Utah border. A Mormon settlement established in the late 1860s with a population of around 50. Later became a siding for the Salt Lake Railroad in 1904. Still serves as a siding and a number of buildings & people are still there. Now known as Barclay. Settled in 1905.
  6. Bennett (Bennett’s Springs) – A popular stop on the main road from Panaca to Bennett Pass. This was the main road in the area as roads from Bennett Pass lead to Bristol Well, Comet, Delamar, Frieburg, Hiko, Richardville, and Las Vegas). A half mile east of Bennett was a junction for where the road to Pioche and Bullionville split north from the road to Panaca. Later a road to Caliente left southeast from Bennett, linking up with the Klondike Gap road. A ranch and small community soon developed. A lovely pond and broken-down corrals remain but there is scant evidence of former structures.
  7. Big Trees (Conner Springs) – Springs at the end of Water Canyon above Highland were the purpose of this small camp. Little remains but it is a pretty place to explore.
  8. Bristol (National City) – National City was established in 1870 after silver was discovered. Little production until 1878. New strikes led to a boom and the town was renamed, Bristol. The population rose as high as 700 but mining faded and the town was empty by 1884. A revival began in the early teens and a tramway was linked to the railroad. The town didn’t revive but the Bristol Mine still is an occasional producer. Mill ruins and foundations remain. Came into existence when owners of the Bristol mine at National City built a furnace in 1872. Slowly began a milling center and by 1890, had a population of 400. However, the mills closed a couple of years later and the town was abandoned by 1893. A couple of stone coke ovens, mill ruins, and foundations are left.
  9. Bristol Well, Nevada (Bristol) – A mining district on the west slope of the Ely Range, 16 miles north of Pioche. The Jack Rabbit Mine is on the east side of the range in this district. Also, a name applied to the south end of Ely Range. The district was organized in 1871.
  10. Boyd – A railroad station north of Elgin on the former San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake RR and still a siding on the Union Pacific, this Meadow Valley Wash has an interesting past. It served as a supply location for the nearby Kaolin mine. There is also a story of a lost freight train in the same 1910 flood that relocated Elgin.
  11. Brown, Nevada (Brown’s Well) – A town near the Utah line, east of Caliente. Formerly a flag stop station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake RR and now a siding on the Union Pacific. There may have been some habitation related to the well and not the railroad as well. Located between Acoma siding and Crestline Siding. Settled in 1905.
  12. Bullionville, Nevada  – Came into being in 1870 as a milling center for Pioche’s mines because of plentiful water. The Pioche & Bullionville Railroad, 21 miles long, was built in 1873. The town grew to have 500 residents by 1875. When Pioche completed its water system later that year, Bullionville was doomed. By 1877, all but one of the mills had been dismantled and the town was abandoned by 1880. Since then, the only residents have been lessors reworking the tailings. Mill ruins and foundations abound.
  13. Caliente, Nevada – A town in Meadow Valley Wash along the Muddy River on a branch of the Union Pacific Railroad running north to Pioche, also on US 93. A mining district 8 miles northwest of the town also known as Chief. The town, laid out in 1901, was first called Calientes when the post office was established, the “s” was dropped. Hot springs in this locality suggested the name, which is Spanish for “hot.”
  14. Camp Valley – Remnants of a former community can be found near Camp Valley Well. USGS calls this Camp Valley.
  15. Cana – Was a flag stop station located between Etna and Stine on the original grade of the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake RR. Floods of 1907 and 1910 have removed all evidence of the station and siding remains. Later, the name applied to Stine siding.
  16. Carp, Nevada (Clifdale) – A town along the Muddy River on the Union Pacific Railroad 38 miles south of Caliente. It was first named Clifdale for the number of cliffs surrounding it but later the name was changed to Carp, for a railroad employee. Original station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake RR, later Union Pacific. Settled in 1907 as Cliffdale, renamed for a Railroad employee named Carp, an attempt to establish a post office at Carpsdale, on 6/29/1918 was rescinded, a post office was established at Cliffdale on 6/7/1921, discontinued when the name was changed 12/1/1925, established as Carp the same day 12/1/1925, and although out of operation in 1973, was not officially discontinued until 7/1/1974. Carp has an interesting history of train wrecks and a killer flood in 1938. Some buildings remain. Settled in 1907.
  17. Caselton, Nevada – Caselton was a company town built in the 1920s by the Combined Metals Reduction Company. It was named for J. A. Caselton, an official of National Lead Company. National Lead participated in the operation of Combined Metals and Caselton represented National Lead’s interests. The town was served by a branch line from Prince Consolidated Railroad, later absorbed into the Union Pacific. The Combined Metals mine is in Pioche and it was connected to Caselton at the 1,200-foot level via a horizontal shaft. Ore was hauled underground from Pioche to Caselton. Originally the ore was shipped to a mill in Bauer, Utah but in 1940 (or 1941) a 1,000-ton flotation mill was built. The flotation mill was necessary to economically process the lower grade of ore being produced. Later, a company named Pioche Manganese which was affiliated with Combined Metals Reduction constructed a rotary kiln where manganese concentrates were extracted. Caselton is private property. Sadly the railroad was abandoned several years ago and there is little activity now. There are a few residents of nearby Caselton Heights.
  18. Cave Springs – A 1904 construction camp located at Cave Springs. Cave Springs is where Oak Well Canyon enters Clover Creek. The Utah Construction Company maintained a hospital here for the benefit of the men building the railroad in Meadow Valley Wash. The site is now located along the Union Pacific Railroad between Barclay Siding and Acoma Siding.
  19. Cave Valley, Nevada – A valley and town in Northwest Lincoln County between Egan and Ely ranges. Named for a cave in the valley. An extended ranch community located in Cave Valley. The community had a post office from June 4, Jun 1926 to February 15, 1933.
  20. Cedar Wash Station – The final booster station in the water pipeline from the Meadow Valley Wash (Stine). Located at the head of Cedar Wash, this sight is difficult to reach.
  21. Cedarhurst (Donahue Ranch) – An extended ranch community located in Cave Valley. The community had a post office from August 11, 1922, to October 31, 1928.Clover Valley
  22. Chief – A small settlement that sprung up because of activity in the Chief Mountain Mining District.
  23. Claflin – Smelter and small community that developed on the flat below Pioche beginning in 1891. Named for J. B. Claflin, a major stockholder in the Pioche Consolidated Company, who built the smelter.
  24. Cliff Springs – Stage station on the old Delamar Road took its name from the spring at that site.
  25. Cloud (Rappelje, St. George) – An original flag stop station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake RR, later Union Pacific, first named Saint George, but renamed Rappelje in honor of a railroad official, and renamed Cloud in 1928, for the brother-in-law of another railroad executive. The station was abandoned long before the siding was removed in 1949. The siding was located just north of Lyman Crossing. Not much remains.
  26. Cold Springs – A locale in Meadow Valley Wash associated with springs of the same name. The original road south from Panaca left Meadow Valley Wash at this location and went overland to Dutch Flat on Clover Creek to avoid the constriction (swamp) at Indian Cove. Perhaps the significance of Cold Springs was the first after the overland route.
  27. Comet Mine, Nevada – A peak on the west side of Highland Range and a mining district on the southwest flank of the peak. A mining community associated with the Comet and Silver Comet mines on the west side of the Highland Range. Located in 1882, the mines were worked through the 1930s. Interesting place to explore.
  28. Comet Spur (Comet, Smiley’s Spur) – A siding on the Pioche Branch of the Railroad between Indian Cove and Panaca. The spur was used to ship ore from the Comet mines after the railroad was constructed in 1907. Around 1916, the spur was referred to as Smiley’s Spur for Ed Smiley, manager of the Silver Comet Mill but officially the railroad called this station Comet, causing confusion with the mining community.
  29. Condor Canyon Mill – A mill and associated community located in the narrows of the Meadow Valley Wash just north of Panaca. The old Pioche & Bullionville narrow gauge railroad ran through the canyon, as did the Pioche branch of the Union Pacific. The regular railroad grade was put in by the Oregon Short Line in the late 1890s. The mill was active during the early Pioche boom and also processed some of the first ore from Delamar. It is worth the effort to get there.
  30. Coyote – A small ranch community located west of Bristol Wells in Dry Lake Valley. There is water at Coyote and evidence of human inhabitation but little else remains.
  31. Coyote Holes (Coyote Springs) – A settlement associated with a spring halfway between Alamo and Moapa, it was formerly home to a couple of brothels but now is a large “recycling” operation.
  32. Crescent Mill (Crescent, Crescent City) – Early mill location on the west side of Mt Irish. Active in the 1860s. Stone foundations and square nails can be found but beware, the wash leading to it is very sandy.
  33. Crestline – A former summit station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake, later Union Pacific Railroad. During the early days of steam, helper engines pushed trains up Clover Creek to Crestline. There was a wye and several structures but a keen eye is necessary as the Union Pacific rerouted their tracks to lessen the grade.
  34. Crossroads – A location in Oak Well Wash where the main road from Clover Valley to old Road from Acoma to Caliente. There is some signs of inhabitation and it is a pleasant walk but little evidence remains.
  35. Crystal Spring, Nevada – A small stage station developed in 1865 around the cool springs used by travelers. When Lincoln County was formed, for some reason, this little camp was designated the county seat. However, soon after it was discovered that there weren’t enough people required, and the next year, Hiko gained the honor. Once stages stopped running, the area was abandoned by 1870. Stone foundations mark the site.
  36. Deer Lodge, Nevada (Deer Lodge and Hacket Ranch) – One of the initial discovery areas in the Eagle Valley District. The town of DeerLodge was laid out in June of 1897. The Homestake and Horseshoe Mines were the main producing mines and each had a mill. Deerlodge got a post office on March 22, 1898. Better prospects were discovered a mile southwest in 1899 and much of the town moved to the new Camp at Fay. The Homestake Mine shut down in the fall of 1900, the post office was discontinued on October 15, 1900, and mail was routed to Stateline, Utah. The Horseshoe Mine closed in 1903 and Deerlodge was history. The townsite was occupied by the Hacket family who farmed and worked a small producing mine. A respectful visit to the Hacket family cemetery is a must. The Hacket Ranch, Horseshoe, and Homestake mine offer the best ruins, but some exploring reveals more. A small mining town on the Nevada-Utah border with remnants of its existence still can be seen.  
  37. Delamar, Nevada (Ferguson and Reeves) – A very prominent early Nevada town but also one with one of the most tragic histories. Its other name was the “Widowmaker” because hundreds of miners died of silicosis from working the poisonous ore in the mines. Discovered in 1890, the rich ore led to a rush to the area. Beginning in 1895 until 1900, Delamar led Nevada in production. By 1897, the town had a population of 3000. A fire virtually destroyed the town in 1900 but it was quickly rebuilt. The last of the great mines closed in 1909. Total production is over $13 million. Mill ruins, a cemetery, and many rock buildings survive today. A town on the west slope of the Meadow Valley Range and a mining district of the same name also called Ferguson. The town was settled in 1894 by Captain John Delamar. The mining district was discovered in 1892 and was called Monkey Wrench but later changed to Ferguson and then Delamar after the Captain. 
  38. Delmues, Nevada  (Delmue, Delmue’s Station, Engadine) – A town southeast of Pioche. Joseph D. Delmue and his brothers bought the ranch from James Henrie, on March 3, 1871, and it was named for the former. A former nonagency station on the Pioche branch of the Union Pacific, and a former area post office named Engadine (October 11, 1907, to April 15, 1914) are associated with the Delmues Ranch at the top of Condor Canyon. The Delmue family has owned the ranch for over 135 years and still operates the ranch.
  39. Desert Springs – A short-lived mining camp southeast of Deerlodge. Little remains.
  40. Dry Valley – A 1870s mining camp located in Dry Valley. The 1870 Census listed 133 people in the Dry Valley district but most would be in outlying ranches and farms.
  41. Eagle Valley (Ursine) – A small ranching and farming community settled in the 1863 by Mormons. A town of about 50 formed and still exists today. A number of pre-1900 buildings remain. The original post office was opened in 1896 under the name Ursine, which no known reason is known why this name was used.
  42. Eccles – A former flag-stop station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake, the siding remains on the Union Pacific Railroad, located in Clover Creek Canyon between Caliente and Minto
  43. Eight Mile House – Stop on the old Lake Valley Road located at Eight Mile Well, 8 miles north of Pioche.
  44. Elgin, Nevada – A community in Meadow Valley Wash settled in 1882. A siding and station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake, it was washed out in 1910 and reconstructed at its present location. Elgin had a Post Office from March 3, 1913, to December 30, 1966. The restored schoolhouse is a must-see. A town along the Muddy River south of Caliente on the Union Pacific Railroad. It settled in 1892.
  45. Emigrant Springs – An early freight and stage station in Cave Valley, located west of Patterson.
  46. Etna, Nevada – A former station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake, the remains of siding can be found on the Union Pacific Railroad. It was located in Meadow Valley wash four miles south of Caliente. A town south of Caliente on the Union Pacific Railroad.
  47. Evergreen Flat (Little Eden) – Little Eden was a failed agricultural development in the upper part of Coyote Springs Valley. They attempted, in 1912, to divert water from Maynard Lake to the flats. The water never made it but Maynard Lake was drained. That didn’t stop a later-day effort to subdivide the land. It was plotted and semi-roads graded and some people were separated from the money buying unseen lots in Evergreen Flat. If you are bored driving toward Alamo from Las Vegas, look to the left a few miles past Coyote Holes and see if you can see the lots in among the evergreens (AKA creosote bushes), then note the water line on the now-drained Maynard Lake.
  48. Fay, Nevada (Pike’s Diggings) – Discovery of gold in 1899 led to the formation of the town of Fay. Fay had a consistent population of 75 to 100 until 1915 when the mines closed. A few buildings and a mill struggle to stand amid other ruins. A mining town on the Nevada-Utah border.
  49. Ferguson (Golden and Golden City) – 1882 mining camp at the Monkey Wrench Mine located up the canyon from Delamar (Reeves). Captain De Lamar invested heavily, the Ferguson District was renamed the Delamar District and the new community of Delamar a mile down the canyon soon dominated the landscape.
  50. Findlay – (Findlay Station) – The second booster pump station on the water pipeline from Stine in Meadow Valley Wash to Delamar.
  51. Flatnose (Flatnose Ranch) – Former extended ranching community located alongside the Meadow Valley Wash in Dry Canyon. Little remains of Flat Nose although the old Flatnose Ranch is still thriving.
  52. Floral Springs – A former mill and related community below Pioche, was serviced by the Pioche Branch of the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake RR.
  53. Four Miles House – Stop on the old Lake Valley Road located at Four Mile Well, 4 miles north of Pioche.
  54. Freyberg (also known as Frieberg, Frieburg, and Freiburg) – Silver was discovered in 1865. However, little was done and nothing developed. District was abandoned by 1867. Only real production, although limited, took place in the late teens. Nothing remains to mark the site except some small mine dumps.
  55. Galt – A former non-agency station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake, the siding remains on the Union Pacific Railroad, located in Meadow Valley wash ten miles south of Carp.
  56. Geyser (Geyser Ranch) – Old Stage Stop and ranch in Lake Valley. Geyser had a post office from February 20, 1889, to October 31, 1913. The ranch is still operational.
  57. Gold – Short-lived mining camp which grew up subsequent to discoveries in State Line Canyon around August 1914.
  58. Golden City, Nevada (later Ferguson and then Delamar) – A small mining camp that was part of the Ferguson Mining District.
  59. Groom, Nevada – Silver was discovered in 1864 and worked occasionally until the early 1870s when, because of its isolation, the mine was abandoned. The site is inaccessible now and is on federal land. Of course, most know its name as the renowned site of Area 51.  A mining district in southwest Lincoln County in Emigrant Valley. Discovered in 1869. Named for the Groom Mine, which was named by its locators.
  60. Hamlight – An station on the Pioche and Bullionville RR named for Ham Light, a well known mining man and early stage station operator around Pioche.
  61. Helene, Nevada – The first Mining camp in the Ferguson District, Helene was the camp at the Magnolia Mine. Helene had a post office from June 30, 1892, to December 22, 1894. Located a bit north of Delamar, stone ruins and a few foundations remain.
  62. Highland, Nevada – Discovery of silver in 1868 quickly led to the formation of a small camp. The mines consistently produced at a low level into the 1870s. Some people remained off and on until 1920. Stone ruins and foundations mark the site. A name applied to the western part of the Pioche Mining District and range north of Meadow Valley Range and south of the Ely Range. Named by Allen McDougall who was a Highland Scotch.
  63. Hiko, Nevada – Silver was discovered in 1865, and the camp of Hiko quickly formed. Within a year, the town had more than 300 residents. Most mining, however, had ceased by 1870 and the county seat was moved to Pioche. No other activity ever took place. Hiko is still an active community with original buildings, stone ruins, foundations, and a small cemetery remaining from the early days remaining. A town in Nevada west of Hyko Range and about 60 miles west of Caliente. Settled in 1853, was the county seat from 1867 – 1871. Named for the Shoshone language and means “white man” so called because at this point the Indians saw the first white man.
  64. Homer – A 1860s community in the Upper end of Spring Valley.
  65. Hoya – A flag station in the lower Meadow Valley Wash and named for the Spanish word meaning “hole” or “hollow.”
  66. Hoyer – A former flag-stop station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake, the siding remains on the Union Pacific Railroad, located in Meadow Valley wash about 20 miles north of Moapa.
  67. Indian Cove, Nevada – Former station and early brothel on US93 north of Caliente. A pretty row of white cottages, nested against the canyon wall is all that remains.
  68. Islen – A former station and railroad community on the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake. Located in Clover Creek Canyon between Minto and Barclay, the siding remains.
  69. Jackrabbit, Nevada (Royal City) – Silver was discovered in 1876 and the town of Royal City sprang up. Later renamed Jackrabbit for the largest mine, the camp thrived for many years. A new railroad spur was built to a smelter in 1891 but the ore ran out and the mines closed in 1893. Only a couple of short revivals took place afterward. Some limited mining continues to take place. Foundations and rubble mark the site.
  70. Joseco, Nevada (see Barclay) – A town about 25 miles southeast of Caliente. A form of the name Joseph, which was one of the leaders of the Mormon Church.
  71. Kaolin (Kaolin Spur) – A former side track and associated buildings on the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake located Boyd and Stine, built to serve the American Clay Company Kaolin Mine. Mine was active in the early 1920s, the spur was abandoned by the time the railroad was acquired by the Union Pacific.
  72. Kershaw – A early settlement in Kershaw Canyon off Meadow Valley a few miles south of Caliente. Settled in 1870 by Samuel Kershaw. The site is now a state park.
  73. Kiernan – An early settlement in Meadow Valley. Established in the 1870’s Kiernan had a post office from December 23, 1891, to May 14, 1904, and again from December 14, 1908, to January 15, 1912. Located with subsequent mail routed to Caliente. Located five miles south of Elgin near the mouth of Cottonwood Canyon.
  74. Kyle – A former flag stop station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake, later a siding on the Union Pacific and located 4 miles south of Elgin. Abandoned in 1949.
  75. Lein – A former flag stop station and siding on the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake was located in Lien Draw between Crestline and Uvada (Utah).
  76. Leith – A former nonagency station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake, now a siding on the Union Pacific and located 10 miles south of Elgin in the Meadow Valley Wash.
  77. Logan City, Nevada (Silver Canyon and Crescent) – Rich silver was discovered in 1865. The population quickly grew from a hundred to more than 300 in 1866. But the mines faded and they and the town were abandoned by the early 1870s. Rock ruins remain.
  78. Lyonsville (Lyonville) – A former settlement in Ursine Valley in Lincoln County.
  79. Mendha (Mendha Mine) – Small Community associated with the mine on the west side of Arizona Peak. Don’t confuse this Mendha with the former siding along the now-abandoned railroad to the Prince Mine.
  80. Minto (Dutch Flat) – A former flag-stop station on the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake, now a siding on the Union Pacific and located in Clover Valley between Islen and Eccles. The station was originally named Dutch Flat.
  81. Montezuma (Patterson, Springville) – A large boom that started in 1869 brought more than 400 residents within a month. While things started out promising, the rich ore gave out in 1872 and the district was abandoned by the next year. Stone ruins and foundations are left.
  82. Moodyville – A former settlement in Dry Valley located near Echo Canyon Reservoir.
  83. Mud Springs – A former settlement at the base of the White Rock Mountains, about five miles southwest of the Hermitage. Little evidence remains.
  84. Ninemile Rocks – A former settlement below Panaca Summit near the exit of the road to Crestline. Scant evidence of habitation remains.
  85. Oneota – A small settlement near the junction of roads northwest of Hiko. The Water Gap and Coal Valley area was served by a post office at Oneota from July 19, 1909, to April 30, 1912. The Oneota Dam, just west of Oneota, was built during a particularly wet period in this part of Nevada. One blown-down, building, a small root cellar, and the remains of the Oneota Dam remain.
  86. Panaca, Nevada – A town 1 mile east of US 93 and 15 miles from Caliente on the Caliente-Pioche Branch Railroad. Settled in 1864 under the leadership of Francis C. Lee. It was named by the early Mormon settlers from the personal name of the Pah Ute who was the original discoverer of the ore ledge. Another version is that it was derived of the name Panaca, which is the Pah Ute word panacer, which means rich outcrop of ore. 
  87. Parker Station – Former stage and wagon stop just south of the White Pine County Line in Cave Valley. The rapidly collapsing two-story station house still remains.
  88. Pioche, Nevada – One of the most prominent mining camps in southeastern Nevada. Discovered in 1863 although little was done until 1868 when the town of Pioche began to form. The county seat was moved to Pioche in 1871. While the mines were rich, Pioche was almost as much known for its lawlessness during its early days. During the early 1870s, the town had a population of about 7000. A huge fire in 1871 destroyed most of the town and left 2000 homeless. Production reached its peak in 1872. A small railroad was built in 1873 but while useful, the mines were slowing down and finally shut down in 1876. Revived after the turn of the century and another railroad spur was run from Caliente. Mining continued until the 1950s and the mines were a leading lead-zinc producer. Pioche is still the Lincoln County seat with a sizeable permanent population. Mines are still occasionally worked and many prominent buildings still remain including the “Million Dollar” courthouse. The town also boasts a very nice museum. Mining artifacts abound throughout the area. A truly fascinating place to visit and explore. A town north of Caliente on US 93 and at the end of the Caliente-Pioche Branch Railroad. A mining district situated at Pioche, and a range, low east-west ridge of which Mt. Ely is the highest point. Settled in 1869. Named in honor of F. L. A. Pioche, a San Francisco mine promoter, who invested largely in these mines.
  89. Pockets (Angle City) – A stage station located in Meadow Valley Wash in the 1890s. The station is referred to as Angle City in 1903. Pockets predate the railroad but it was located between the present Galt and Vigo sidings on the Union Pacific.
  90. Rachel, Nevada (Tempiute Village and later Sand Springs)
  91. Reeves, Nevada
  92. Rock Spring Station – The first booster station on the Delamar pipeline is located about five miles up Rock Springs Canyon from Stine.
  93. Rox, Nevada – An original station on San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake, now a siding on the Union Pacific. The community was first developed in 1902 and had a post office from May 20, 1921, to August 15, 1949. The Union Pacific phased out steam power in 1949 and the station was abandoned.
  94. Rose Valley – An early settlement (1870 – 1900) in the lower portion of Ursine Valley.
  95. Silver City, Nevada (Silver Canyon) – Another Mt Irish mining camp, this short-lived camp was located some 4 miles north of Logan City.
  96. Silverhorn – While silver was discovered in 1906, nothing came of it until new discoveries were made in 1920 and a small rush developed. However, the ore was shallow and the camp of 50 disappeared by the end of 1921. Nothing remains.
  97. Silver King – Settlement associated with Silver King Mining District located at the Silver King Well at the south end of Cave Valley. Some stone ruins remain. The best remaining cabins can be found at Griswold Well, two miles south of Silver King, while the Silver King Mine area also has a few standing structures and some foundation ruins.
  98. Spring Valley (Newland) – Ranching and farming community established in the 1870s to supply the booming town of Pioche. Had a consistent population of 50 through the turn of the century. However, as the years passed, people slowly left and only one ranch remains active. Numerous old buildings are located throughout the valley.
  99. Stampede Gap – A mining camp active as early as 1869. Charles Gracey built a small furnace for smelting ore. Evidence of mining abounds but it is hard to determine exactly the limits of the camp.
  100. Stine, Nevada (Cana, Stine Station, Kershaw Station, and Kershaw PO)- The post office for Kershaw was located in Meadow Valley near the mouth of Rock Springs Canyon. It operated from October 29, 1892, to December 31, 1904. This was the site of the first pump station on the pipeline from Meadow Valley to Delamar. A railroad station and side track were located there when the San Pedro, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake line first entered the canyon. Coal to fire the power plant for the pipeline was unloaded there. The station was first named Cana but the post office was renamed Stine on December 31, 1904. The station name was soon changed to Stine, and that name was applied to the pump station as well. The name honors Marcus Stine, one of the major property owners in Delamar. Delamar soon declined and the Stine post office was closed on October 30, 1909. The Stine Station was abandoned in 1949. Don’t confuse this site with the first Cana that was located on the original grade up the canyon from Stine. A town and station on the Union Pacific Railroad, south of Caliente.
  101. Stonehouse – A station and stop on the Pioche-Ely Road at a junction with a road from Bristol, via Jackrabbit toward Ursine. Located down the hill, southeast of Jackrabbit. Little remains.
  102. Sundown – An early settlement southwest of modern-day Rachel is shown on some turn-of-the-century maps. It well may be on the wrong side of the Air Force Fence.
  103. Tempiute, Nevada – Silver was discovered in 1865 but the development of the camp was slow until new discoveries in 1868. By 1870, Tempiute had a population of 50 but further growth was limited by the scarcity of water. After 1877, the district was basically abandoned. In the 1930s, the camp revived and became a major producer of Tungsten. During the 1950s, the town had a population of 700. Tungsten values plummeted in 1957 and the mines closed down. The town was quickly dismantled and only foundations remain.
  104. Twenty-One Mile House – Early Stage stop that was located at Twenty-One Mile Well, 21 miles north of Pioche on the Pioche-Ely Road. Little evidence remains.
  105. Viola – A short-lived mining camp associated with the Viola Mining District located in the Mormon Range. Some silver, copper, lead, and gold was shipped from the district. Little remains except for the remnants of the Cherokee Mine. Located 4 miles east of Lieth.
  106. Watertown (The Ranch) – Special community located at the old World War II Groom Range training facility in southwest Lincoln County. Despite strong Air Force denials of its existence, this community may not be a ghost yet!
  107. West’s Camp – A short-lived mining camp associated with the Viola Mining District, Located 6 miles east of Viola.
  108. Wilson’s Creek – A small settlement found in the Federal Census of 1900. Wilson’s Creek is located on the north slope of Mt Wilson and drains and connects by road with old Silver Park (Atlanta had not been discovered yet!). There are some mining debris remaining and foundations, but little else remains.

Lyon County, Nevada Ghost Towns

Lyon County was created on November 25, 1861, and was named in honor of General Nathaniel Lyon.

  1. Artesia
  2. Buckland Station
  3. Cambridge
  4. Clifton
  5. Clinton
  6. Colony (Simpson)
  7. Como 
  8. Conway State Station
  9. Dayton
  10. Desert Station
  11. Desert Well Station
  12. Elbow
  13. Fort Churchill
  14. Hawes Station
  15. Hinds’ Hot Springs
  16. Honey Lake Smiths Station
  17. Hudson
  18. Johntown 
  19. Ludwig
  20. Mason
  21. Mound House Nevada
  22. Nordyke
  23. Pine Grove
  24. Pony Meadows
  25. Ramsey
  26. Reed
  27. Reed’s Station
  28. Rockland
  29. Rock Point Mill
  30. Rockland
  31. Silver City (Palmyra)
  32. Sonoma
  33. Stockton Well
  34. Summit Station
  35. Sutro
  36. Sutro Tunnel
  37. Sweetwater
  38. Talapoosa
  39. Thompson
  40. Thompson Smelter
  41. Wabuska
  42. Walker River Station
  43. Wellington
  44. Wiley’s Station
  45. Williams Station

Mineral County, Nevada Ghost Towns

Mineral County was created from part of Esmeralda County on February 10, 1911, and was appropriately named for the high mineralized area.

  1. Acme
  2. Aurora  
  3. Bass Camp
  4. Baxter Mine
  5. Belleville
  6. Bovard
  7. Broken Hills  
  8. Buena Vista
  9. Camp Douglas
  10. Candelaria 
  11. Coryville
  12. Deadhorse Well
  13. Del Monte
  14. Douglass
  15. Dutch Creek
  16. Eagleville
  17. Eddyville
  18. Esmeralda
  19. Fletcher
  20. Garfield
  21. Granite
  22. Hawthorne
  23. Lucky Boy
  24. Luning
  25. Marietta
  26. Metallic City
  27. Mina
  28. Mountain View
  29. Omco (Olympic Mines Co)
  30. Oro City
  31. Pamlico
  32. Poinsettia
  33. Rawhide 
  34. Rhodes 
  35. Simon
  36. Sodaville
  37. Thorne
  38. Whisky Spring

Nye County, Nevada Ghost Towns

Nye County was created on February 15, 1864, and was named in honor of James W. Nye, who was the Governor of Nevada Territory.

Below are the stage stops, mining camps, mining districts, and towns that existed at one point and now are a faint memory.

  1. Adaven
  2. Allred
  3. Amargosa
  4. Amargosa Valley
  5. Ancram
  6. Antelope
  7. Antelope Springs
  8. Archer
  9. Arrowhead(Needles)
  10. Ash Meadows
  11. Ashton
  12. Athens
  13. Atwood
  14. Barcelona (Spanish Belt, Spanish Gap, Meadow Canyon)
  15. Bare Mountain (Beatty, Fluroine, Lee, Telluride)
  16. Barrett
  17. Baxter Spring
  18. Beatty
  19. Bellehelen(Longstreet)
  20. Belmont
  21. Berlin
  22. Black Hawk
  23. Black Spring(s)
  24. Blue Eagle Spring
  25. Bonita
  26. Bonnie Claire
  27. Bowlerville
  28. Box Springs
  29. Breyfogle
  30. Broken Hills (Mineral County)
  31. Browne’s Camp
  32. Bruner
  33. Bullfrog
  34. Butterfield Spring
  35. Cactus Springs
  36. Canyon
  37. Carrara 
  38. Cedar Spring
  39. Central
  40. Central City
  41. Centrasville
  42. Chloride
  43. Clarkdale
  44. Clear Creek Mining District
  45. Clifford (Helena)
  46. Cloverdale (Golden, Republic)
  47. Craig Station
  48. Currant
  49. Danville
  50. Darrough Hot Springs
  51. Death Valley Junction
  52. Deep Well Station
  53. Downeyville
  54. Duckwater
  55. Duluth
  56. East Belmont
  57. East Manhattan
  58. Eden (Eden Creek, Gold Belt)
  59. Ellendale
  60. Fairbanks Ranch
  61. Ellsworth (Marble Falls)
  62. Frazier Wells
  63. Gabbs
  64. Georges Canyon
  65. Glen Hamilton
  66. Globe Mining District
  67. Gold Bar
  68. Gold Center
  69. Gold Crater
  70. Gold Flat
  71. Golden Arrow (Blake’s Camp)
  72. Goldyke
  73. Granite
  74. Grant City
  75. Grantsville
  76. Hannapah
  77. Harriman
  78. Helena
  79. Hick’s Hot Springs
  80. Hick’s Station
  81. Horseshoe
  82. Hot Creek
  83. Idlewild
  84. Indian Springs
  85. Ione
  86. Ione City
  87. Iron Tank
  88. Jackson Mining District
  89. Jacksonville
  90. Jamestown
  91. Jefferson
  92. Jett
  93. Johnnie
  94. Junction
  95. Kawich
  96. Keystone
  97. Knickerbocker
  98. Lauville
  99. Learville
  100. Leeland
  101. Liberty
  102. Lockes – A town in northeastern Nye County on US 6 that was also known as Ostonside.
  103. Lodi – A town, also known as Lodival, near the Mammoth Range in northwest Nye County, near the Churchill County line, in a valley of the same name. A mining district in the region, was discovered in 1863.
  104. Logan Station
  105. Lower Town
  106. Maggie Blues
  107. Manhattan
  108. Manse Ranch
  109. Marysville
  110. Mccann Station
  111. Meikeljon
  112. Mellan
  113. Mexican Camp
  114. Midas
  115. Midway
  116. Millett
  117. Milton
  118. Minnimums
  119. Monarch
  120. Moore’s Station
  121. Morey
  122. Mud Spring Station
  123. Mule Lick
  124. New Reveille
  125. North Manhattan
  126. Northumberland – A mining district in the Toquima Range in northern Nye County, organized in 1866 and named for a county in England.
  127. Nyala – A town on the west slope of the Quinn Canyon Range, south of Lockes, and named as a derivative of Nye.
  128. Oak Springs – A mining district located at Oak Spring on the east flank of the Belted Range near its southern end.
  129. Old Reveille
  130. Ophir Canyon
  131. Original
  132. Orizaba
  133. Pactolus
  134. Paradise Peak
  135. Park Canyon
  136. Peavine
  137. Penelas
  138. Petersgold
  139. Phonolite
  140. Pine Creek
  141. Pioneer
  142. Potomac
  143. Potts
  144. Pritchard’s Station
  145. Pueblo
  146. Ralston – Named in honor of Judge James E. Ralston, who died in the valley in 1864.
  147. Ray
  148. Reveille
  149. Reveille Mill
  150. Rhyolite – A town 5 miles west of Beatty in the Bullfrog Hills that was settled in 1904. In the Bullfrog Mining District. Named for rhyolite, the predominating rock in the district.
  151. Rose’s Well
  152. Round Mountain – A town in northwest Nye County on the west slope of the Toquima Range and a mining district in the town.
  153. Royston
  154. Rye Patch
  155. Saint Elmo
  156. San Antonio – A mining district discovered in 1863 and named for the Texas city.
  157. San Carlos
  158. San Juan
  159. Sawmill
  160. Shamrock
  161. Silver Bow
  162. Silverbow Springs
  163. Silver Glance
  164. Silverton
  165. Smith’s Station
  166. South Bullfrog
  167. Spanish Spring
  168. Springdale
  169. Springfield Mining District
  170. Stargo
  171. Stirling
  172. Stone House
  173. Stonewall
  174. Sulphide
  175. Summit Station
  176. Sumo
  177. Sunnyside – A town in northeast Nye County near the Lincoln County line in the White River Valley. Named for its physical features.
  178. Tate’s Station
  179. Telluride
  180. Thorp
  181. Toiyabe
  182. Tolicha (Carr’s Camp, Monte Cristo, Quartz Mountain, Vignola’s) – A mining district on the north slopes of Tolicha Peak and Quartz Mountains. A Yokut tribal name.
  183. Tonogold
  184. Tonopah
  185. Toyah
  186. Transvaal
  187. Trappman’s Camp
  188. Troy
  189. Twin Springs
  190. Tybo – A town on the west slope of the Hot Creek Range 40 miles southeast of Belmont. A mining district adjoining the Hot Creek District to the north was discovered in 1870 and the town was started in 1874. The word is Shoshone, meaning “white.”
  191. Union
  192. Upper Town
  193. Van Ness
  194. Volcano
  195. Wagner
  196. Wahmonie
  197. Warm Springs
  198. Washington
  199. Wellington
  200. White Caps
  201. White River
  202. White Rock Spring
  203. Willow Creek
  204. Willow Springs
  205. Wilson
  206. Wilson’s Camp

Ormsby County

This county existed from 1864 – 1869 until it was merged with Carson City. It was created on November 25, 1861, and was named after William M. Ormsby.

  1. Clear Creek
  2. Curry’s Warm Spring
  3. Empire City
  4. Gregory’s Mill
  5. Lakeview
  6. Mills in Carson River Canyon
  7. Swift’s Station

Pershing County, Nevada Ghost Towns

Pershing County was created on March 18, 1919, from the southern part of Humboldt Couty and was named in honor of General John J. Pershing.

  1. Alpine Mine
  2. American Canyon
  3. Arabia
  4. Bonnie Bryer
  5. Chafey 
  6. Colado
  7. Dun Glen  
  8. Etna 
  9. Farrell
  10. Goldbanks
  11. Halfway House
  12. Humboldt City
  13. Humboldt House
  14. Imlay – A town established as a division point on the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1904 that is 39 miles northwest of Lovelock on US 40. Also, a mining district.
  15. Jacob’s Well
  16. Juniper Range
  17. Kennedy
  18. Lancaster
  19. Lima
  20. Lovelock – A town on the Humboldt River in southern Pershing County on the Southern Pacific Railroad. Lovelock was settled in the meadows in 1861 by James Blake and in 1862 George Lovelock and his family settled in the meadows. By 1872 it was known as Lovelock’s and was incorporated in 1917 as Lovelock. It was made the county seat when Pershing County was organized from the southern part of Humboldt County on March 18, 1919.
  21. Mazuma  
  22. M. G. L. Mine
  23. Mill City – A town 4 miles northeast of Imlay on US 40-95 along the Humboldt River. A mining district northwest of Eugene Mountains is the largest producer of tungsten ore in the United States. A quartz mill was built here in the early days, because of the nearby water, so the place was named Mill City.
  24. Nightingale – A mining district east of Winnemucca Lake.
  25. Oreana – A town on the Southern Pacific Railroad along the Humboldt River near US 40. The Oreana smelter built in 1867 was the first in Nevada from which lead ore was shipped in commercial quantities. The name comes from “ore” material containing valuable metallic constituents and the Greek “ana” which means great, excessively.
  26. Oreana Station
  27. Packard
  28. Panama
  29. Placerites aka Placercitos
  30. Poker Brown
  31. Prince Royal
  32. Puckerbush
  33. Rabbithole Springs
  34. Rochester  – A mining district and townsite 9 miles east of Oreana that was discovered in the 1860s in the central Humboldt Range that was named by the prospectors from Rochester, New York.
  35. Rosebud
  36. Rye Patch
  37. Sanata Clara
  38. Scossa – A town 50 miles by road north of Lovelock and 28 miles west of Imlay in the Antelope Range. A mining district in the town was discovered by Janes and Charles Scossa in 1930 and named for them.
  39. Seven Troughs – A mining district on the east slope of the range about 32 miles northwest of Lovelock that was discovered in 1905, which adjoined the mining camps of Farrell, Mazum, and Vernon. Named for the seven troughs placed below springs in the canyon by stock to provide a watering place for stock.
  40. Spring Valley
  41. St. Marys
  42. Star City
  43. Toulon
  44. Torreytown
  45. Trego Hot Springs
  46. Trinity
  47. Tungsten
  48. Tunnel
  49. Tunnel Camp
  50. Unionville – A town and mining district on the east side of Humboldt Range in Buena Vista Canyon 20 miles south of Mill City. Organized in 1861 the town was first called Buena Vista and then later Dixie. With the influx of northerners, it became Unionville. It was the first county seat of Humboldt County from 1861 to 1871.
  51. Vernon – A town located at the southernmost camp of the Seven Troughs Mining District.
  52. Willard

Storey County, Nevada Ghost Towns

Storey County was created on November 25, 1861, and was named for Edward Farris Story, who was killed in 1860.

  1. American Flat
  2. Comstock (American City) – Located 1 miles west of Gold Hill, Comstock was a  mining district known in the early days as the Washoe District, including Virginia City and Gold Hill. 
  3. Devil’s Gate – Located almost four miles south of Virginia City, this town has origins back to 1859. 
  4. Five Mile House (Summit House) – Located five miles north of Virginia City, on the old Geiger Grade.
  5. Gold Hill – A town at the head of Gold Canyon 1 mile south of Virginia City in the mining district of the same name at the south end of the Comstock Lode. Discovered in 1859,  incorporated in 1862, and disincorporated in 1881. Named Gold Hill because its discoverers thought it seemed to be a little hill of gold.
  6. Jumbo – A camp was formed and a mill constructed once the mines opened in 1907. The town also was home to a few saloons, hotels, an assay office and a grocery store. The post office opened in April 1908.
  7. Lousetown – In the early 1860s began as a toll station on the turnpike from Virginia City to Stone & Gates crossing in the Truckee Meadows.
  8. Six Mile Canyon – Located two miles east of Virginia City.
  9. The Divide (Middletown) – Located 1/2 mile south of Virginia City, initially the Divide separated Virginia City and Gold Hill. The town had a population of 1,000 residents.
  10. Virginia City – A town that is the largest of old historical western mining towns. Located on the north end of the Comstock Lode on the eastern slope of Mount Davidson where gold was discovered in June 1859. First called Silver City, then Ophir. On June 22, 1859, James Fenimore, locally known as “Old Virginny” located a claim lying west of the Comstock which he called the Virginia Lead. He is said to have baptized the town with a bottle of whiskey, proclaiming it Virginia. After being known as Virginia Town it was incorporated as Virginia and later changed by the Post Office Department to Virginia City. it was first incorporated in 1860 under Utah Territory, then under Nevada Territory in 1861, and under the State of Nevada in 1864, reincorporated in 1877, and disincorporated in 1881. The county seat since Storey County was established in 1861. The surrounding Virginia City Mining District was the first regular mining district in Nevada Territory.
  11. Washington

Washoe County, Nevada Ghost Towns

Washoe County was formed on November 25, 1861, and was named for a native tribe originally spelled Wassau or Wassou, which means “tall bunch grass” or ‘ryegrass.”

  1. AuburnLocated 2 1/2 miles northeast of downtown Reno.
  2. Big Canyon
  3. Brooklyn
  4. Castle Peak
  5. Crystal Peak
  6. Deep Hole
  7. Derby
  8. Diessner
  9. Empire
  10. Flanigan – A town on the Fernley-Klamath Falls branch of the Southern Pacific Railroad at the point where it is crossed by the Western Pacific Railroad. Named for P. L. Flanigan owner of a sheep ranch in the vicinity and a prominent citizen of the county.
  11. Fleish
  12. Franktown
  13. Galena
  14. Glendale (Jamison’s Station, Glendale Crossing, Old Stone and Gates Crossing, Stone and Gates Bridge, and Stone and Gates Crossing) – A community southeast of Reno on the Truckee River, on Donner Party Route. Established in 1853 and named for its pleasant surroundings.
  15. Huffakers
  16. Hunter’s Station
  17. Incline
  18. Jonesville (Upper Pyramid)
  19. Junction House
  20. Lake’s Crossing
  21. Leadville
  22. Magnolia House
  23. Mill Station
  24. Olinghouse – A mining district in Olinghouse Canyon northwest of Wadsworth on the east flank of the Pah Rah Range named for E. Olinghouse who located the mining claims here.
  25. Ophir
  26. Peavine Ranch
  27. Poeville
  28. Pyramid City (Pyramid and Lower Pyramid) – A station on the Southern Pacific Railroad branch one on the northwest side of the lake. A mining district southwest of the lake that was discovered in 1860.
  29. Sand Pass
  30. Steamboat Springs
  31. Vya – A town in northwest Washoe on Nevada 34 just north of its junction with Nevada 8A. Settled in 1907 and was named for Vya Wimer, the first white baby born in the Valley.
  32. Wadsworth– A town in extreme eastern Washoe County. At the big bend in the Truckee River. Known in the early days as Lower Emigrant Crossing on the Southern Pacific Railroad and US 40. The town was laid out in 1868 by the Central Pacific Railroad on which it was a division point until the shops and roundhouse were moved to Sparks in 1904. Named by railroad officials for Brigadier General James S. Wadsworth, a noted Union officer in the Civil War.
  33. Washoe City
  34. Wedekind

White Pine County, Nevada Ghost Towns

White County was formed on March 2, 1869, and was named because of the heavy stand of timber.

  1. Antelope Springs
  2. Aurum
  3. Babylon
  4. Barnes
  5. Belmont Mill
  6. Black Horse
  7. Blaine
  8. Bonanza
  9. Botwick
  10. Broadway
  11. Buck Station
  12. Bull Spring Station
  13. Butte Station
  14. Cherry Creek – A town in the northern part of the Egan Range on Nevada 35 and a mining district at the town at the mouth of the Cherry Creek Canyon.
  15. Claytons
  16. Cleve Creek
  17. Cleveland Ranch
  18. Cocomongo
  19. Cold Creek
  20. Conners Station
  21. Duck Creek
  22. Eberhardt
  23. Egan Canyon
  24. Eight Mile Station
  25. Ely – A town in southwest central White Pine County within the Egan Range at the junction of US 93-50 and US 6 on the Nevada Northern Railroad. The first building on the Ely townsite was in 1885 and the county seat since 1887. Incorporated under the general act of 1907, a mining district at the site was organized in 1868. Copper was the principal ore produced. Named for John Ely, a partner of William H. Raymond in the famous Pioche District, who loaned $5,000 to A. J. Underhill to purchase the land where Ely now stands.
  26. Fort Ruby
  27. Glencoe
  28. Hamilton – A town in the White Pine Range 36 miles west of Ely. A mining district is also known as White Pine which was discovered in 1865. Hamilton was the first county seat of White Pine County. In 1885 a fire destroyed the county buildings and the county seat was moved to Ely in 1887. Hamilton was incorporated in 1869 and disincorporated in 1875. Named for W. A. Hamilton, who surveyed the townsite in May 1869.
  29. Hobson
  30. Hogum
  31. Hunter
  32. Illipah
  33. Jacobs Well
  34. Johnson Mine
  35. Joy 
  36. Kimberly – A town and one of a group of mining camps in the rich copper district in the Egan Range, west of Ely. Named for the Kimberley region in South Africa.
  37. Lages Station
  38. Lane City
  39. Leadville
  40. Lexington Canyon
  41. Lund – A town in Southern White Pine County 13 miles off US 6 on Nevada 39. Settled in 1898 and named in honor of Anthony C. Lund, one of the Presidency in control of the Mormon Church.
  42. McGillA town in Steptoe Valley that is 11 miles north of Ely on the Nevada Northern Railroad and was the site of the largest smelter in Nevada with copper ore as the chief ore smelted. Settled in 1906 and named for William M. McGill, a surveyor, miner, and stockman who came west from Ohio in 1870.
  43. Minerva
  44. Monte Cristo
  45. Mosiers
  46. Mountain Spring
  47. Muncy – A town on the east side of the Shell Creek Range on a dirt road 13 miles south of Nevada 2 and the Muncy Creek Mining District in the area.
  48. Newark (Strawberry) – A mining district on the east slope of the range that was discovered in 1866 by the Gilson Brothers, Stephen and John Beard, and other prospectors from Austin.
  49. Niptown
  50. Osceola – A town a little south of US 6 on the west flank of the Snake Range. Gold was discovered in 1872 and tungsten in 1916. Named by Southerners for the Seminole Chief of that name.
  51. Parker Station
  52. Picotillo
  53. Piermont
  54. Pinto
  55. Pinto Creek Station
  56. Pleasant Valley
  57. Pogues Station
  58. Preston – A town and ranching community on the White River seven miles southeast of US 6 in Southern White County. Established by the Church of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon) in 1897 and named for William B. Preston, Presiding Bishop.
  59. Regan
  60. Reipetown – A town settled in the 1900s and was incorporated 1918-1919. It was one of the cluster towns around Ely. Named for Richard A. Reipe, who came to Nevada in 1873, living first in Pioche, then at Ely, where he was the postmaster in 1887.
  61. Round Springs
  62. Ruby Hill
  63. Ruby Valley Station
  64. Ruth 
  65. San Pedro
  66. Schellbourne – A town on Schell Creek on the west slope of the Schell Creek Range. A mining district that was part of the Aurum District. Named for Schell Creek, which was named for Major A. J. Schell who was a United States commander in charge of a detachment of troops for protection of the overland wall.
  67. Seligman
  68. Shermantown
  69. Shoshone
  70. Siegel
  71. Six Mile House
  72. Spring Valley Station
  73. Springville
  74. Steptoe City – A town and valley that was settled in 1868 and named in honor of Colonel E. J. Steptoe of the United States Army who was a famous fighter of the Old West.
  75. Stockville
  76. Swansea
  77. Taft
  78. Tamberlaine and Tamerlane
  79. Tamberlane Canyon
  80. Taylor
  81. Tippett
  82. Treasure City
  83. Treasure Hill 
  84. Tungsten Mines
  85. Tungstonia – A mining district (see Pleasant Valley)
  86. Uvada
  87. Veteran
  88. Ward
  89. Yelland

References Used

Nevada Ghost Towns