Old Geiger Grade
Old Geiger Grade Overview
Nevada Historical Marker Number
Old Geiger Grade is Nevada Historical Marker #_.
Click here to view the full list of Nevada State Historical Markers.
Nevada Historical Marker Transcription
In the canyon below is the Old Geiger Grade road. Constructed by Dr Davison M. Geiger and John H. Tilton in 1862, this old toll road was the most direct connection between the Comstock Lode and the Truckee Meadows, until replaced by the present, New Deal-era highway in 1936.
Concord stages, mud wagons, and ten-mule freighters carried thousands of passengers and millions of dollars in precious cargo across this section of the Virginia Range. There are many stories of unpredictable winds, snows, landslides, and the everlasting danger of lurking highwaymen involving this precipitous stretch of road. Dead Man’s Point and “Robber’s” Roost, two of the most famous features of the road, can be seen from this marker.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER NO. 211
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE