Skip to Content

Palmetto Nevada

Palmetto, Nevada, is a ghost town located in Esmeralda County in the southwestern part of the state. Like many towns in the American West, Palmetto’s history is rooted in mining and is marked by periods of boom and bust.

Palmetto Nevada

The town of Palmetto is believed to have been established around 1866 during a silver mining boom. It was one of many towns that sprouted up due to mining prospects in Nevada following the earlier successes of places like Virginia City.

Palmetto Nevada Overview

Primarily, Palmetto was a silver mining town. However, prospectors and miners in the area may have also extracted other minerals commonly found in such ore deposits, including lead, zinc, and possibly gold in smaller quantities.

At its peak, Palmetto had several hundred residents and was equipped with the typical establishments of a mining town, including saloons, stores, a post office, and likely lodging for miners. However, it lacked the long-term stability seen in more successful mining towns.

Palmetto’s prosperity was short-lived. By 1870, the mines were already in decline, and by the end of the 19th century, the town was largely abandoned. A brief revival occurred in the early 20th century when new mining techniques allowed for the extraction of additional ore, but this too was not enough to sustain the town.

Today, Palmetto is considered a ghost town, with very few, if any, residents. It has left behind ruins and remnants of buildings as a window into its past. Occasionally, it attracts tourists and ghost town enthusiasts who are interested in the history of the American West and Nevada’s mining heritage.

Access to Palmetto and other ghost towns can be challenging, as many are located off main roads and may require traveling on unpaved tracks. Preservation efforts for ghost towns like Palmetto vary, with some being protected due to their historical value, while others are left to the elements.

As with many ghost towns, detailed records of Palmetto’s history can be sparse, and much of what is known has been pieced together from various historical accounts, artifacts, and the remaining structures. Information on such places is often a combination of historical fact, anecdote, and the physical evidence left behind. For those interested in visiting, it’s always recommended to check current conditions, as remote sites can be affected by weather and other factors.

Category

Mining

Marker Type

Blue marker

Nevada Historical Marker Number

Palmetto Nevada is Nevada Historical Marker #158.

Click here to view the complete list of Nevada State Historical Markers.

Post Office

The Palmetto post office was first established in the late 19th century. However, like many such services in boom-and-bust towns, its operation was intermittent. Records suggest it operated from 1906 to 1920, with a brief reopening in 1945 that lasted until its final closure in 1957.

County

Eureka County, Nevada

Elevation

Palmetto is situated at a high elevation typical of Nevada’s mountainous terrain, sitting at approximately 7,000 feet above sea level. This elevation would have made for challenging living and working conditions, especially in winter.

Click here to

GPS Coordinates

37.444168, -117.694873

Nevada Historical Marker Transcription

Thinking that local Joshua trees were related to palm trees, the 1866 prospectors named the mining camp Palmetto.  Although a local 12-stamp mill worked the silver ore, the town died for lack of profitable material.  New discoveries in the late 1860s brought Palmetto back to life, but once again meager deposits caused its demise.

New prospecting in 1903 caused Palmetto to grow to a town of 200 tents on a platted town site.  At its peak in 1906, the commercial street contained all the necessary mining camp businesses.

Local miners drifted away in autumn, 1906.  Mining, on a lease basis, has been minimal since that time.  An important talc deposit lies nearby.

STATE HISTORIC MARKER No. 158

STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE

E.F. DENTON

References Used

Palmetto Nevada