Sheridan Nevada Overview
In 1861, a blacksmith shop, a store, two saloons, and a boarding house comprised the village of Sheridan, Nevada.
The former boarding house is all that remains and it has been converted into the dwelling seen across the road.
Nevada Historical Marker Number
Sheridan Nevada is Nevada Historical Marker #122.
Click here to view the full list of Nevada State Historical Markers.
Nevada Historical Marker Transcription
In 1861, a blacksmith shop, a store, a boarding house, and two saloons comprised the village of Sheridan. The village had grown up around Moses Job’s general store, established prior to 1855. The Surveyor General, in his 1889-90 biennial report, stated that Sheridan was the metropolis of the Carson River West Fork farmers. The Sheridan House, erstwhile boarding abode, has been converted to a dwelling. It may be seen across the road. It is all that remains of the “metropolis.”
Moses Job, an irrepressible man, climbed the peak above this location, planted the American flag and with a shout named the peak after himself. Job’s Canyon is above, and to its left is Job’s Peak. To its right is Job’s Sister.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER No. 122
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE