Stillwater Nevada Overview
The town originated as an overland stage station in 1862 and later became home to incoming ranchers.
The Stillwater Indian Reservation adjoins the lush Stillwater National Wildlife Refuge full of natural resources.
- Native American
Nevada Historical Marker Number
Stillwater Nevada is Nevada Historical Marker #216.
Click here to view the full list of Nevada State Historical Markers.
Nevada Historical Marker Transcription
Stillwater’s beginning predates Nevada’s advent to statehood by two years. Named for large pools of tranquil water nearby, the town originated as an overland stage station in 1862, was granted a post office in 1865, and became Churchill’s third county seat in 1868. The community population peaked in 1880, and when the county seat was removed to Fallon in 1904, barely 30 residents remained.
Although their community center has disappeared, the valley’s lush fields and abundant crops attest to the untiring efforts of Stillwater’s pioneer ranchers and their descendants who met the desert’s challenge with dedication and determination.
The Stillwater National Wildlife Refuge of 163,000 acres of wetland habitat and natural breeding and feeding groups for waterfowl was created in 1949. The Stillwater Indian Reservation adjoins the Refuge.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER NO 216
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE
DAUGHTERS OF AMERICAN COLONISTS