Stine Nevada Overview
Stine is an extinct railroad siding town on the Union Pacific Railroad route located 5 miles south of Caliente in Lincoln County, Nevada between Edna and Boyd in the Meadow Valley Wash.
Variant names were “Cana” and “Stine Station.” The community was named after Marcus Stine, an owner in the Delamar mining district.
Not a lot of information is easily found but we will be digging into old newspapers and books to learn more to share about this old station town.
Click here to learn more about Nevada Ghost Towns
Stine Nevada History
The area had been known earlier as Kershaw, which was settled in 1870 by Samuel and Hannah/Anna Kershaw. A pump station and a coal power plant was built to help provide water and power to the Bamberger Delamar Gold Mines that was 13 miles away.
In 1904 when the plant was converted to coal, the name was changed to honor Stine and the Delamar miners.
In 1909, all mining operations ceased at Delamar and the power plant was decommissioned and possibly shipped to the Lagoon Resort/Logan, Utah, which was owned by Simon Bamberger. On September 7, 1909, the Reno Evening Gazette reported that the Bamberger Mines [of Delamar] were closing down.
Kershaw Post Office
October 29, 1892 – December 31, 1904
Stine Post Office
December 31, 1904 – October 30, 1909