Things to Do in Laughlin Nevada
Laughlin Nevada Overview
Laughlin is an unincorporated town located in Clark County, Nevada, United States, and a port town with a population of over 7,000 according to the 2010 census.
Even though it is known for its gaming and casinos, since it’s located on the Colorado River, Laughlin is also considered a destination for outdoor and family activities. Many of the casinos that line the Colorado River are linked by an unofficial pedestrian thoroughfare known as the Laughlin Riverwalk.
At the bottom of this post is a complete list of all our articles
we have published related to Laughlin, Nevada.
Laughlin Nevada History
Laughlin was named for Don Laughlin, an Owatonna, Minnesota native who purchased the southern tip of Nevada in 1964 (informally called South Pointe). At the time, Don Laughlin operated the 101 Club in Las Vegas. He opened what would become the Riverside Resort, and later wanted to call the community Riverside or Casino, but the post office opted for Laughlin instead.
The early town consisted of a motel and bar that catered to gold and silver miners, construction workers building Davis Dam, and fishing enthusiasts. In the 1950s, construction workers left, and the town all but disappeared.
In 1964, Don Laughlin, owner of the 101 Club in Las Vegas, flew over the site and saw its tourism potential. He offered to buy the land, and within a few years, the Riverside Resort Motel and Casino, consisting of only 12 slots and two live tables, was bustling.
A second casino, the Bobcat Club, opened in 1967, where the Golden Nugget Laughlin currently operates. In 1968, a third casino, the Monte Carlo, opened its doors. Across the river, Bullhead City, Arizona, sat in the glow of the casino light.
Shuttle boats transported customers from the Arizona side of the river to Laughlin’s resorts and back.
The southernmost tip of Nevada, along the Colorado River, where Nevada, California, and Arizona meet, was a major national tourist destination and gambling resort during the ’70s, ’80s & ’90s.
Where is Laughlin Nevada
Located on the Colorado River, Laughlin is located in Clark County, Nevada 90 miles south of Las Vegas, located at the far southern tip of Nevada.
It is the geographic meeting point of San Bernardino County, California, Mohave County, Arizona, and Clark County, Nevada.
- From Las Vegas Interstate 515, US 93/95 south through Las Vegas towards Boulder City. After passing through Henderson and the Railroad Pass, take the ramp and turn right onto US 95 south toward Searchlight/Laughlin for 55 miles. Turn left onto NV 163. Head east for 19 miles. Turn right on Casino Drive. Approximately 98 miles from Las Vegas; 2 hours
- From Phoenix US 93 north to I-40 west through Kingman. Take the Bullhead City / Las Vegas exit and turn right at the signal at the end of the exit ramp. Continue west taking the Highway 68 ramp toward Bullhead City / Laughlin. Highway 68 merges with Arizona Highway 95. Turn right at the Laughlin Bridge. Approximately 225 miles from Phoenix; 4 hours.
- From Southern California I-15 north to Barstow; I-40 east to Needles, California. Exit on River Road cutoff, turn north for 22 miles on Needles Highway to Casino Drive and turn right. Approximately 283 miles from Los Angeles; 5 hours. About 335 miles from San Diego; 6 hours.
The coordinates for Laughlin, Nevada are: 35°8′30″N 114°37′7″W
Adjacent Counties and Communities
Nearby counties and communities are
- Bullhead City, Mohave County, Arizona
- Needles, San Bernardino County, California
- Fort Mohave, Mohave County, Arizona
- Mohave Valley, Mohave County, Arizona
What Time is it in Laughlin Nevada?
Located in Nevada, Laughlin is located in the Pacific Time zone. Be sure to note that if you cross over into Arizona the time could be different depending on if it’s daylight savings time or not. Click here to read our article on Southwest Time Zones.
The elevation of Laughlin, Nevada (Clark County) is 558′.
Laughlin is a sunny town that averages over 300 days of sunshine a year with the fall, winter, and spring seasons as warm and pleasant. But be warned… summer temperatures can be remarkably hot with days frequently exceeding 110 °F in July and August while night-time lows tend to stay between 76–86 °F.
It is one of the United States’ hottest cities during the summer and it is not usual to see heat waves involving temperatures going over 120 °F. The winters are mild with days typically seeing temperatures between 65–75 °F and corresponding night-time lows between 43–52 °F.
Below are the averages temperatures and rainfall for Laughlin, Nevada:
- January – 64° / 44° – 2 days
- February – 69° / 46° – 2 days
- March – 78° / 51° – 2 days
- April – 86° / 57° – 0 days
- May – 96° / 66° – 0 days
- June – 106° / 74° – 0 days
- July – 110° / 81° – 1 day
- August – 108° / 80° – 1 day
- September – 102° / 73° – 0 days
- October – 89° / 61° – 1 day
- November – 74° / 50° – 0 days
- December – 64° / 43° – 1 day
RELATED ARTICLE >> How to Beat the Heat
Best Time of Year to Visit
Laughlin can be enjoyed year-round but the best time to visit Laughlin, Nevada to enjoy the outdoors without extreme heat would be from mid-April to early June and then from mid-September to late October.
Laughlin/Bullhead International Airport is a public-use airport located 1.15 miles north of the central business district of Bullhead City, in Mohave County, Arizona, United States. The airport is across the Colorado River and one block away from Laughlin, Nevada.
Airlines flying into the Laughlin Airport:
- Elite Airways
- Sun Country Airlines
The airport is home to three car rental companies:
Click here to view the Laughlin Airport website.
You can travel to Laughlin by bus using the Southern Nevada Transit Coalition or Greyhound.
- Southern Nevada Transit Coalition – Bus service from Las Vegas and Searchlight, Monday-Friday.
- Greyhound – Buses from Los Angeles (via Las Vegas) and Phoenix stop just across the river in Bullhead City.
Most hotels have charging stations for electric cars.
The zip codes for Laughlin, Nevada are 89028 and 89029. There are multiple post offices in the area and you can view a list here at Laughlin Post Offices.
Area codes used for Laughlin are 702 and 725.
Hotels in Laughlin Nevada
Almost all of the lodging options are located on the Colorado River.
- Aquarius Casino Resort
- Avi Resort & Casino
- Bayshore Inn
- Colorado Bell Casino & Resort
- Don Laughlin’s Riverside Resort & Casino
- Edgewater Casino Resort
- Golden Nugget Laughlin
- Harrah’s Laughlin
- Laughlin River Lodge
- Pioneer Hotel & Gambling Hall
- Tropicana Laughlin
Click here to learn more about and compare Laughlin Hotels, Casinos, and Resorts.
RV Parks In and Near Laughlin
- Bayshore Inn – 1955 W. Casino Drive – Laughlin, NV 89029
- Big Bend of the Colorado Recreation Area – 4220 Needles Highway – Laughlin, NV 89209
- Colorado River Oasis Resort – Bullhead City, Arizona
- Davis Camp – Bullhead City, Arizona
- Don Laughlin’s Riverside Resort RV Park – 1650 S. Casino Drive – Laughlin, NV 89029
- Fiesta RV Park – Bullhead City, Arizona
- Harrah’s Laughlin RV Parking and Overnight Camping – 2905 S. Casino Drive – Laughlin, NV 89029
- Mirage RV Park – Bullhead City, Arizona
- River City RV Park – Bullhead City, Arizona
- Silver View RV Resort – Bullhead City, Arizona
- Sunrise Adventures Ridgeview Resort – Bullhead City, Arizona
- Tropicana Laughlin Dry Camping and RV Parking – 2121 S. Casino Drive – Laughlin, NV 89029
- Vista Del Sol RV Resort – Bullhead City, Arizona
Camping in Laughlin
- Big Bend of the Colorado Recreation Area
- Davis Camp Park
- Katherine Landing South Campground
- Laughlin/Avi Casino KOA
There are plenty of places to choose from for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Click here to view our article on Restaurants in Laughlin, Nevada.
- Sam’s Club members can buy discounted gift cards there to help save money.
- Join a casino player’s club and ask what discounts they have for new players.
- Check Groupon for Laughlin dining discounts (and discounts for concerts, activities, etc.).
Pack a cooler and head to one of these areas to enjoy a lazy day picnic:
- Big Bend of the Colorado State Recreation Area – Laughlin, Nevada
- Bullhead City Community Park – Bullhead City, Arizona
- Bullhead City Rotary Park – Bullhead City, Arizona
- Clark-Arie Park – Laughlin, Nevada
- Colorado River Heritage Greenway Park & Trails
- Dean Hackett Park – Bullhead City, Arizona
- Don Sullivan Park – Bullhead City, Arizona (closed)
- Ken Fovargue Park – Bullhead City, Arizona
- Princess Cove Picnic Area – Bullhead City, Arizona
- Turtle Beach Community Park- Bullhead City, Arizona
- Veterans Memorial Park – Bullhead City, Arizona
Ghost Towns Near Laughlin, Nevada
- Cyanide Springs, Arizona
- Goffs, California
- Nelson, Nevada
- Oatman, Arizona– Located 30 miles southeast of Laughlin, the ghost town of Oatman, Arizona is a not-miss excursion (I LOVED feeding the local donkeys). Oatman is a “ghost town” that was a mining town in the 1800s, now is an attraction to explore old mines, watch staged gunfights, feed donkeys that roam the streets, and more.
- St. Thomas, Nevada
What to do in Laughlin Nevada
What are you in the mood for?
Laughlin offers a lot of various activities from water play to casino fun to events.
Fishing in Laughlin, Nevada
Grab your fishing license and hit the water to catch your limits of bluegill, sunfish, striped bass, and rainbow trout.
Laughlin Golf Courses
Below are the golf courses located in the Laughlin Nevada area:
- Chaparral Golf and Country Club – 1260 Mohave Drive, Bullhead City, AZ 86442-7643
- El Rio Golf – One Paseo El Rio, Mohave Valley, Arizona 86440
- Huukan Golf Club – 5835 Desert Lakes Drive, Bullhead City, Arizona 86426
- Laughlin Ranch Golf Club – 1360 William Hardy Drive, Bullhead City, Arizona 86429
- Los Lagos Golf Club – 6365 S. Entrada Via Verdes, Mojave Valley, Arizona 86440
- Mojave Resort Golf Club – 9905 Aha Macav Parkway, Laughlin, Nevada 89029
- Willow Springs Golf Course – 8011 Highway 95, Mohave Valley, AZ 86440
Click here to learn more about Laughlin Golf Courses
Hiking In and Near Laughlin
- Christmas Tree Pass (scenic road)
- Colorado River Heritage Greenway Trails – There are four developed trailheads and a pedestrian overpass to access several miles of Laughlin’s northern Colorado riverfront. The trail system offers a variety of walks and hikes, practical fishing nodes, and a fully appointed day-use park, with Davis Dam as its backdrop, which are the main features. Click here to read more about the Colorado River Heritage Greenway Trails
- Grapevine Canyon Trail – Grapevine Canyon Trail is a 3.6-mile out-and-back trail located near Laughlin, Nevada that features petroglyphs, a waterfall, unusual desert plants, and gorgeous views of the valley.
- Secret Pass – Secret Pass is a 12-mile trail located near Laughlin, Nevada that offers scenic views, and a number of activity options, and is accessible year-round. It is hard to find but I hear it’s worth the drive. The trail is more popular with off-roading folks.
Below are the bowling lanes located in the Laughlin Nevada area:
- Riverside Lanes Bowling – 1650 S. Casino Drive, Laughlin, NV (Riverside Resort)
- Strike! Bowl – 2700 S. Casino Drive, Laughlin, NV (Laughlin River Lodge)
Laughlin Water Activities
One of the most popular water activities in Laughlin is to rent jet skis and be a “river rat” for the day, which I highly recommend.
While Big Bend is a popular area… well, it’s a popular area and will have a lot of people using it at times — we prefer to hit the Lake Mohave and find a cove to set up our picnic and kayaking items.
- Boat Tours and Dinners – We haven’t had luck on a dinner cruise due to weddings happening on the nights we want to attend so I don’t have first-hand knowledge (yet) of what to expect. The riverboat goes up and down the river at dusk for cocktails, dinner… or a wedding.
- Lake Mohave – Part of the Lake Mead National Recreation Area, Lake Mohave has 200 miles of shoreline for recreational activities, swimming beaches, and picnic areas. Katherine Landing’s campground and marina are only 7 miles from downtown Laughlin on the Arizona side of the lake.
- Laughlin Riverwalk – Who is up for a nice stroll along the river? There is a 3-mile stretch along the river that extends along the Nevada shore of the Colorado River from Laughlin to Davis Dam. If you are staying at a casino, you can enter through the riverside exits to access the Riverwalk. Click here to read more about the Laughlin Riverwalk and view photos.
- The River Passage Water Taxi – The water taxi is a great way to travel from the casinos along the river. Don’t worry about it taking a long time as they move along the river quickly and the stops are brief. The fee to ride one way for $5 or pay $20 for a day-long pass.
Laughlin Museums and Parks
- Big Bend of the Colorado Recreation Area – A state park to launch your boat or personal watercraft, grab a place along the river, or find a picnic area to have lunch. We spent part of the day hanging out by the river with the intent of kayaking but there were way too many jet skis for us to enjoy ourselves. So instead, we set up our canopy and had lunch while people and duck watching. Click here to read more about the Big Bend of the Colorado.
- Colorado River Museum – The Colorado River Museum is located at 2251 Highway 68 Bullhead City, AZ 86429, and is open September through June, Tuesday through Sunday from 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM.
- Don Laughlin Car Museum – Located at the Riverside Resort Hotel & Casino, the Don Laughlin Car Museum is housed in two separate areas of the property, the exhibit is a rotating collection of antique, classic, and special interest autos assembled from private collections, with most from Don Laughlin’s personal collection. Click here to read more about Don Laughlin Car Museum.
- Laughlin Labyrinths – Built by Wes Dufek as an area to meditate, it was a work in progress over a period of 3+ years. It’s an interesting quick stop to walk through the labyrinths and catch a view of the river. The overall time should be no more than half an hour, and that’s if you stay awhile. Laughlin Stone Labyrinths are located at 2750 Thomas Edison Drive – Laughlin, NV 89029. Click here for more information and photos of the Laughlin Labyrinths.
- International Gifts & Craft Shows – MARCH – This family-friendly event has vendors showcasing everything from handmade candles to hand-crafted women’s apparel. Click here for the official International Gifts & Craft Shows website.
- Laughlin River Run – APRIL – Held in Laughlin, NV, the annual motorcycle rally was started in 1983 with 426 participants and in 2005 the motorcycle event drew an estimated 70,000 motorcycle enthusiasts making it the largest gathering of bikes and bikers in the Western United States. The Laughlin River Run takes place annually during the last weekend in April, normally beginning on Wednesday and finishing on Sunday.
- Rockets Over the River July 4th – JULY – Each year the annual Rockets Over the River fireworks display is held for free for public viewing along the entire Laughlin River Walk or from your favorite Laughlin hotel. This extraordinary display is one of the most spectacular and unique in the West as the pyrotechnic company launches the rockets into the dark desert sky with the reflection of each colorful explosion shimmering on the Colorado River. Patriotic music is choreographed to the fireworks and simulcast over speakers by Laughlin hotels and local radio stations.
- Laughlin River Regatta – CANCELED – it used to be an event with over 22,000 participants, the event will host the river float, special events, and parties.
- Holiday Boat Parade of Lights – NOVEMBER – Each year boat owners decorate and light up their boats to kick off the holidays while boating up and down the Colorado River.
- Colorado Belle Casino Resort – Colorado Belle Casino Resort is located at 2100 S Casino Drive Laughlin, NV 89029.
- Laughlin Outlet Center – The Laughlin Outlet Center is located at 1955 S Casino Drive Laughlin, NV 89029. With more than 60 merchants, an indoor food court and market, and eight acres of convenient indoor parking, the Laughlin Outlet Center makes a great break from the heat. The Laughlin Outlet Center is open seven days a week and is located in the heart of the casino district, across the street from the Aquarius Casino Resort. Mall Hours are Monday -Saturday from 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM and Sunday from 10:00 AM to 7:00 PM.
Several hotels allow you to bring your furry family member to their property. If your hotel doesn’t allow your furbaby, check out the kennels we have listed below.
- Bullhead City Dog Park – Bullhead City, Arizona
- Bullhead City Rotary Dog Park – Bullhead City, Arizona
- Clark-Arie Park – 1975 Arie Drive – Laughlin, Arizona
- Colorado River Heritage Greenway Park & Trails – Laughlin, Arizona
- Don Sullivan Park – Bullhead City, Arizona
- Mohave Valley Community Park – Mohave Valley, Arizona
- Risen Star Kennel – Bullhead City, Arizona
- TLC Doggie DayCamp – Bullhead City, Arizona
- Advanced Animal Care – Fort Mohave, Arizona
- Colorado River Animal Hospital – Bullhead City, Arizona
- North Valley Pet Hospital – Fort Mohave, Arizona
- Spirit Mountain Animal Hospital – Bullhead City, Arizona