Twelve Mile House
Twelve Mile House Overview
Built in 1859, this was an important stop on the road to the Esmeralda mining camp of Aurora.
Mile houses were critical places for rest and supplies along early western road systems before railroads.
Marker in production.
Nevada Historical Marker Number
Twelve Mile House is Nevada Historical Marker #125.
Click here to view the full list of Nevada State Historical Markers.
Nevada Historical Marker Transcription
Proposed Text, Marker Text Plate in Production:
Twelve Mile House was an important stop on the road to the Esmeralda mining camp of Aurora. Mile houses like this one were critical places for rest and supplies along early western road systems before railroads made most mile houses and stations obsolete. Twelve Mile House was part of a network of similar stations that ran from Genoa to Aurora, including another station on the eastern side of the Pine Nut Mountains called Double Springs.
Thomas Wheeler built this important hostelry in 1859 where the East Fork of the Carson River emerges from Long Valley to the south. The Twelve Mile House was so named because it was located twelve miles from Genoa and twelve miles from the Cradlebaugh Bridge across the Carson River. It lay at an important crossroads in the southeast part of Carson Valley, with roads from Twelve Mile House leading southeast to Goldfield, south to Woodfords, west to Fairview, northwest to Minden, Gardnerville, and Genoa, and north to Cradlebaugh Bridge and Carson City.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER No. 125
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE
CARSON VALLEY HISTORICAL SOCIETY