Explore the historical Uri B. Curtis House and Tasker L. Oddie House, nestled in the heart of Tonopah, Nevada. These houses not only reflect the rich mining heritage of the region but also the lives of prominent figures Uri B. Curtis and Tasker L. Oddie, who played pivotal roles in Nevada’s early 20th-century development.
Uri B. Curtis House/Tasker L. Oddie House
Uri B. Curtis House/Tasker L. Oddie House Overview
The Uri B. Curtis House and Tasker L. Oddie House, located in Tonopah, Nevada, are significant landmarks representing the region’s mining history and development. Both houses are listed on the National Register of Historic Places, emphasizing their historical and cultural importance.
National Register Number
- Uri B. Curtis House: NRHP Reference No. 82003227.
- Tasker L. Oddie House: NRHP Reference No. 820032
- Uri B. Curtis House: Built in 1906.
- Tasker L. Oddie House: Built in 1902.
Uri B. Curtis House/Tasker L. Oddie House History
The Uri B. Curtis House, significant for its connection with businessman Uri B. Curtis, reflects the early development of Tonopah. It was initially a large stone residence in a unique U-shape design. The Tasker L. Oddie House, associated with Tasker L. Oddie, a prominent lawyer, businessman, and politician (later Nevada’s governor), began as simple cabins built by Uri B. Curtis and was expanded by Oddie into a modest yet historically significant residence.
- 1902: Construction of the Tasker L. Oddie House.
- 1904: Uri B. Curtis House was sold to Tasker L. Oddie.
- 1906: Uri B. Curtis House was established.
- May 20, 1982: Both houses were added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Tonopah, Nye County, Nevada
- Uri B. Curtis House: 38°03′55″N, 117°14′00″W.
- Tasker L. Oddie House: 38°03′55″N, 117°14′02″W.
Speaking of mobile apps, two of my favorite mobile apps for exploring the southwest are two different mapping apps one that builds your schedule and the other helps me look to see if my rural destination is taking me to private or public lands. Highly recommend both!
- Roadtrippers Plus is $29.99 per year paid version that allows you to build longer itineraries, share your plans with friends, and use the app without ads. Click here to save $5 on your subscription to Roadtrippers.
- onX – click here to learn more about onX GPS Map App for Backcountry, Offroad, and Hunting.
- Uri B. Curtis House: 169 Booker St., Tonopah, Nevada.
- Tasker L. Oddie House: Ellis St., Tonopah, Nevada.
The Uri B. Curtis House and Tasker L. Oddie House are more than just architectural structures; they are a testament to the enduring legacy of individuals who shaped the destiny of Nevada. Their preservation as historic sites allows us to connect with a pivotal era in Nevada’s history and understand the significant contributions of Curtis and Oddie to the region.
Click here to view our list of History of the Southwest – Books and Online Resources to learn more about our amazing area!
- Uri B. Curtis House history and significance1.
- Tasker L. Oddie House history and development2.
- National Register of Historic Places listings for both houses32.