Wellington Nevada Overview
Following the mining boom in the Aurora District in 1860, a bridge was built across the West Walker River and a stage station/trading center was established.
In 1863, Daniel Wellington bought interests, and the place became known as “Wellington’s Station.”
Nevada Historical Marker Number
Wellington Nevada is Nevada Historical Marker #74.
Click here to view the complete list of Nevada State Historical Markers.
Nevada Historical Marker Transcription
Following the mining boom in the Aurora District in 1860, Jack Wright and Leonard Hamilton built a bridge across the West Walker River and established a stage station at this location. Wagons and stages were repaired and horses shod. The station soon became a trading center for nearby ranches and farms.
In 1863, Daniel Wellington bought Wright and Hamilton’s interests and the place became known as “Wellington’s Station”. The Wellington Hotel, located about a half mile south of the station, was constructed by wagonmaster Zadok Pierce in 1875. Over the years it has served as a livery stable, freight station, general store, and post office.
STATE HISTORICAL MARKER NO. 74
STATE HISTORIC PRESERVATION OFFICE
SPONSORED BY THE GROSO & SILVA FAMILIES