Garnet Hill Nevada
Garnet Hill Nevada Overview
Designated as a rock hunting area in 1970, officially known as Garnet Fields Rockhound Area but is more popularly known as Garnet Hill by the locals of White Pine County due to the garnets found by rockhounds.
Garnet Hill Recreation Area – US-50 – Ely, NV 89301
How to Get to Garnet Hill Nevada
Garnet Hill is located approximately 7.5 miles northwest of Ely, Nevada.
- Ely – 7.5 miles – 13 minutes
- Caliente – 140 miles – 2 hours 15 minutes
- Crystal Springs – 140 miles – 2 hours 15 minutes
- Las Vegas – 248 miles – 4 hours
Check your mapping service as it could take you to an area nearby but not where you search for garnets.
The elevation is approximately 7,000′ and offers visitors an amazing view of the copper mine and the town below.
Approximately two square miles.
Garnet Hill is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
What to Take to Garnet Hill Nevada
While visitors are encouraged to bring their own gear to uncover garnets from the stones that contain them, gear isn’t necessarily required as many garnets can be found already uncovered on the ground.
- Bucket to move the rock
- Hand sanitizer
- Hiking chair
- Lunch, snacks, drinks
- Protective eyewear
- Rock hammer
- Toilet paper
- Trash bag
- Water (if possible, take several gallons to use to pour over the rocks)
- Work gloves (the thicker the better)
Garnet Search Tips
First, realize that you are not going to find a garnet that you can retire from the profits of selling it. They are not that big and are not “gem quality” as almost all are significantly flawed.
- Easy, no gear needed method: Walk the area and search for dark-colored stones on the surface and in drainage areas. The loose garnets will collect in drainage areas and where water collects as they are heavier than other rocks found in the area.
- More work, gear needed method: Using round hound gear, crack open the unweathered rhyolite stones.
Nearby Things to Do
One of my FAVORITE road trip planning websites/mobile apps is RoadTrippers. Check out their website, download the app, and start exploring! (Use the Road Trippers promo code BTR5QTP and save $5 when you sign up!)
Click here to view other recommended mobile apps to help you explore Southwest.
- Nevada Northern Railway Museum – 5 miles / 17 minutes
- Cave Lake State Park – 34 miles / 34 minutes
- Ward Charcoal Ovens State Historic Park – 20 miles / 37 minutes
- Illipah Reservoir Recreation Area – 36 miles / 42 minutes
- Bird Creek Recreation Area – 29 miles / 50 minutes
- Hamilton Ghost Town – 46 miles / 1 hour 9 minutes
- Great Basin National Park – 70 miles / 1 hour 20 minutes